Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Make You Gunfighters was one of the games I bought at Essen 2007, the second demo I played, and possibly one of my favourite purchases so far. Why?- you may ask. Well, to sum it up: It´s cute, it looks great, it´s funny, it´s fast, it´s simple and it´s Japanese!

So, what´s the game about? It´s about a war between gunfighters who belong to different factions. Each player is trying to have the last man standing, earn more money and/or achieve control of the town.

Enough chit chat… let´s go on with the more conventional review.

1) Components: This is a card game. One of the things that I liked was the way it was packed. My friend Isma and I were delighted when they opened a copy of the game for us and it all fitted so nicely in the box… You can really see all those centuries of origami put to practice!
The cards themselves are of good quality and the art on them is definitely one of the nice things about this game.
The game comes with the rules in English, German and Japanese. Some bounty markers in thin cardboard as well as a “map” of the town (printed in thin paper) with the different locations are also included in the game.
There are three different types of cards:
-Gunfire cards (42 cards) which represent the seven different locations at which your gunmen can be hiding.
-Story cards (16 cards) which are different events both good and bad to the player who decides to take this action.
-Climax cards (6 cards) reserved for players who get down to having only one gunfire card. Five of them give the player a powerful special power like being able to perform two actions per turn (Horse, Quick draw), or being able to shoot anywhere on the board.

So all in all, 64 cards, the rulebook and some extras which are all great looking.

2) Game mechanics: This is a simple game that can be taught to non-gamers, kids, and still be enjoyed as filler by usual gamers.
The game begins by separating the three different types of cards and then dealing five cards to each player. You are ready to begin!
Each player takes one of the following three actions during their turn (which passes clockwise around the table).
-Move to another location: You discard a card and draw a new one.
-Shoot: You show a card in your hand, point at another player and say “Bang!”. The attacked player must then discard all the cards that match that location. Cards with dollar icons give the shooter bounty coins.
-Advance the story: You pay a bounty coin and turn a card from the story deck face up and follow its instructions. Some of these cards have a red mark on them and allow players to shoot as well. What kind of things can happen? Some are good events, like drawing more gunfire cards, some are bad, like skipping turns or worse yet, lose cards.

Players who run out of cards are out of the game. The last player standing wins the game. Also, a player can win by ending the round with 9 bounty coins, and if using the advanced rules when controlling three different locations in town (which is achieved by showing three cards of that same kind at the end of a round, to control a location)

See? I told you this was simple! You are ready to play!

3) Conclusion: I like this little game. I like the looks, the theme, its easy flow, and, from a personal level, the memories it brings of my recent trip to Germany, where I had a great time at Essen with friends from Spain and the US.
It is obviously not the game of the year (my vote would go to either Age of Empires III or 1960:MOP), but it´s a nice alternative to Bang! and I´ve had a great time playing it so far. It is a nice filler that plays in 15 minutes and can accommodate from 3 to 7 seven players. So, what are you waiting for?… get ready to be made a gunfighter!

PS: The people at the Adventure Planning Service booth were incredibly nice. They taught us to play the game and the designer signed our copy. Without a doubt that made us pay attention to this little gem that otherwise, in the immensity of Essen, we would have never checked out. Their being nice was key to buying, enjoying and writing this game´s review. I hope you guys had a nice trip back home and that you are back in Essen next year (I would like to be there myself too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this twice now, certainly simpler to explain to non gamers than Bang. A nice quick game that will take a lot of players and is fun to play. A good end of evening game when the brain is a bit fried from heavier games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter R.
Italy
Bozen
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this review!
I played this game trice yesterday and hat some fun with it. There are some strange designchoices made by the designer of this game. But still I like this game! It is fast and fun.
I haven't heard of this advanced rules until I read it your review. I will have to check them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kitkowski
Japan
TOKYO
TOKYO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I like the game a lot (I actually wrote the English translation of the rules for the official release), but one thing I had a problem with was the Horse card. It killed the game for us, turning it into something that just drags on and on and on without ending. And there's *3* of them. It means that you have to guess what the Horse player has, and hit at them, and only have a 1 in 6 chance to hit. And when their turn comes up, they can take a new card after shooting and it starts up again.

Once you are down to two players, and both have Horses, you might as well walk away.

I think I'm going to remove those 6 "Critical" cards from the game, they just make it frustrating and long. Otherwise, it's a light, fun game.

-Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike kalmbach
msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone know where I can purchase this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Vitali
Italy
Casalecchio di Reno
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try here:
http://www.boardgamer.com.tw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.