United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game because of its solitaire potential. At the time I had no potential opponents.

Overview:
This game contains a nice looking mapboard (NOT sheet, which I hate). Punchable counters, rules, player pads for keeping score and track of everything and possibly player aid cards (the latter I don't remember). Very typical Avalon Hill game. The board is a map of the German port city of St. Nazaire and surrounding bay. The Water is seperated into large zones and the city has superimposed interconnected circles for moving/placing ground troops. Game play starts with the same set up each time. Place the appropriate German searchlight and gun counters on the map, place all the English ships in their starting places in the sea zones. Place all the german land units in their cups off the board. Each cup contains Germans with a different alarm level. The game is played in turns divided in phases. The player controls the British ships/land units. The Germans take their turns using logical rules. The game itself is roughly divided into 2 parts: The approach, where all the ships are trying to drop off their commandos without getting blasted out of the water, and then the land phase where commandos go around blowing up certain targets for victory points without getting shot by German troops. After achieving a certain number of VP's, you win.

My overall ratings are as follows:

Theme/Mechanics: 7 The theme is pretty cool but replay value is a little limited, since set up is the same every time. The game plays very smoothly

Rules: 7 AH rates this a 4 out of 10, which I agree. It is more complex than Battle cry or Memoir '44 but definitely less complex than games such as Panzer Leader. All the rules make sense and are easy to follow and remember. The board contains lists of reminders/player aids.

Strategy: 7 there is dice rolling, which adds an element of luck, though with modifiers die roles are skewed appropriately. Deciding what do attack and when definitely entails strategic decisions.

Asthetics: 6 The board looks decent, though a little drab. Counters don't look as cool as mini's but are definitely functional.

Overall Fun Factor. 6.5 I liked this game the first few times I played it, but since it is the same game everytime, I got kinda bored with it. Having said that is is fun to play. I find that a lot of troops get destroyed as the ships approach, which is always frustrating, but I suppose that is the way it goes. I would recommend this for anyone who likes WWII solitaire games that is pretty fast-paced (takes about 1-2 hours to play) with fairly simple rules, though I would recommend Ambush! first..definitely a more fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.