Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I learned how to blow a big lead tonight. I've never seen it happen in the SoC card game -- until now. My hat's off to my wife.

I started with a TERRIBLE pile for early game play, but at least I knew where a whole batch of pink cards was . And I was able to get a fairly cheap knight (Walter) to build early on. After that, though, I had a really good run, paying to look in a good pile, and grabbing a number of cards from there (Scout, Abbey, Garrisons, Spy, Grain doubler, etc.) & randomly from other piles. The production die was also rolling my way, and I built up to a 7-3 lead.

And then, just as I was thinking it was time to coast, the lead was challenged, and finally gone! I had built to 4 settlements, 1 city, and had both tokens. Well, my wife hadn't had much luck in the dice, but she HAD been lucky to avoid brigands, as she was LOADED with resources. After slowing me down (Black Knight, Merchants, Spy, Brigands), she quickly built a settlement, a city, tied me for knights, and snagged the commerce token! Ugh! Suddenly, she was up 7-6. I've never seen that happen before, and we've played a good 50-75 times now. Shows why we play the games . I prefer fun to steamroll-winning anyhow, so this is great to know that comebacks are possible. Even if it burned me this time out.

After that, she piled on the defense of the commerce token, and got numerous windmill rolls to help. She got up to 11-8, but I slowed her up (arsonist) to tie it up at 10. But she had the ore doubler, FIVE cities, and the production die in her pocket by then, and finished it off.

We'd done the math, and based on open positions, I HAD to build the Colossus to win, or hope for a Civil War to free up a spot. Well, I HAD the Colossus (it was amongst that pink bunch I started the game with cool, so I was just waiting to go with it. Had 2/3s of the necessary resources.

Oh well; not to be, this time. I'll get her next time .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PieMan wrote:
Well, I learned how to blow a big lead tonight. ... The production die was also rolling my way, and I built up to a 7-3 lead.
And then, just as I was thinking it was time to coast, the lead was challenged, and finally gone! I had built to 4 settlements, 1 city, and had both tokens.

It depends on what kind of lead you have. If you have both tokens and are leading, you must take into consideration that you could lose both of them to your opponent, resulting in a 7-3 lead quickly becoming a 5-5 tie! If the 7-3 leader doesn't have these tokens, his lead is usually somewhat more solid (although the other player might be able to use the extra resources earned by the tokens to do some "catch-up" play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.