Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need an introductory game playable by a smart 8 year old.

I have 1960 but would like to play something simpler before diving into that with him.

Any ideas are much appreciated...Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher!

Okay, seriously, though. How about Rocketville? No, really. Or I'm the Boss (which is business themed, but is all about deals and negotiation for power).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of print, but...

Landslide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of date, but a simple and effective primer on the electoral college and campaigning is GDW's Campaign Trail. You move around the country collecting popular votes and then tally up the electoral vote at game's end. As in real life, having the most popular votes is no guarantee of victory. It's a roll and move game with random event cards, but it is quick and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koalition? If you've got the necessary number of players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
The History in Action guys make wonderful, well-researched games. I don't know if they meet your criteria of politics.

But 1960: The Making of the President looks great; and Diplomacy is simple enough to teach, even if it is a bit heavy for that age -- it certainly meets the "politics is like sausage" thing and explains how that 'stuff' works better than any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would concur with either Campaign Trail or Landslide. The latter is especially easy to find in a thrift store or EBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.