Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] texas [+] [View All]
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the DFW area (I live in Euless) and next week I'm going to check out as many of the metroplex game stores as I can. I've been to 2 in the area , one with a game room and one without. Here's the stores I've heard of:

Lone Star Comics: Haven't been there

Generation X Comics: I've been there, they have a geme room, they're clse to my home, an employee said I could run minis game demos, they had a good selection of boardgames for a place that also sells comics

Game Chest: been there, looks like a decent store

Half Price Books: not sure if it's a full-on game store but I've heard people do gaming there, I'm assuming it's in Dallas and will look it up

Any other good stores? In-store game rooms are a ++ and a selection of hex and counter wargames along with good strategy games would be something that would get me in the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm partial to GameWyze in Lewisville. I'm there 1st Saturday of the month to demo games and whenever I have a free Saturday I usually hang out there.

GameWyze @ Vista Ridge Mall
Downstairs next to Dillards
2401 South Stemmons Freeway
Suite 1458
Lewisville, TX 75067
(972) 316-2100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jungman
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best store I've been to in Dallas is The Game Chest, in Valley View Mall, LBJ and Preston Road in north Dallas. You wouldn't expect to find a serious game store in a shopping mall, but there it is. I've not been to GameWyze in Lewisville, but Game Chest definitely beats the GameWyze in Plano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinn and Nick, thanks. Any opinions on Heroplex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jungman
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Heroplex. I don't live in DFW but visit frequently. If anybody else has opinions on good game stores, I'd be interested in hearing them, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madness Comics in Plano has gaming every Saturday night. They have a nice selection of games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lobosolo wrote:
The best store I've been to in Dallas is The Game Chest, in Valley View Mall, LBJ and Preston Road in north Dallas. You wouldn't expect to find a serious game store in a shopping mall, but there it is. I've not been to GameWyze in Lewisville, but Game Chest definitely beats the GameWyze in Plano.

It doesn't take much to beat the GameWyze in Plano.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee B
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in connecting with a gaming group? What type of games do you typically like to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leegb1 wrote:
Are you interested in connecting with a gaming group? What type of games do you typically like to play?

Yeah I am looking to connect with a group. I'm going to check out the South Arlington Gamers today but I'm definitely open to finding other groups.

The games I play are Twilight Struggle (1960 TMotP also), Arkham Horror, Race for the Galaxy(working it's way in as one of my favorites), Carcassonne H&G, Entdecker, Marvel Heroes, Antike.

Own, unplayed, but want to play soon: La Citta, Twilight Imperium 3, HeroCard, Alhambra.

I'm not a fan of family games and there aren't a lot of Euro games (besides what I've mentioned above) that interest me. I would try some of the heavier Euros.

I play wargames as well. I would love to find a close wargaming group (I've heard of the North Texas Wargamers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonnyG wrote:
Madness Comics in Plano has gaming every Saturday night. They have a nice selection of games as well.

Madness has a very nice selection of games and around Christmas
they had a Buy 2 get 1 Free sale.

Also some of the Dallas Gamers meet there on Saturday night for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroplex is a very friendly store with free-to-use playspace, although their selection of non-ccg games is very standard... munchkin, catan, carc, etc.

some of the Lone Star locations have very good variety.

More Fun comics and games in lancaster also has a good selection.

Comic Book Craze in garland is a decent store as well, although i'm not sure how their boardgame stock looks at the moment.

if you want more opinions, i'd recommend the txgamers.com forums

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Martin
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, it is now about 5 years since the last post on this and many of these places have gone away...

Lone Star Comics sold all their brick and mortar stores to maintain strictly an online presence selling comics.

Many of the stores went to Collected, which then immediately reduced the stock of the stores to bare minimum as far as gaming goes.

Madness in Plano is still the bomb and the biggest most well stocked store in the DFW area as far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Generation X in Euless just moved into a new larger location and is one of the best locations in Tarrant county (though I have a few locations I found today online to go check and compare real soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rose
United States
Robinson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Generation X Comics. Best selection in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for updating this! I recently moved back to DFW after a two-year hiatus. The new location for Madness Games & Comics took my breath away. I do miss The Game Chest from Valley View Mall; that was a great store. Does anyone know: did they move somewhere else or did they close down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Madness is the best store in the area, IMO. I've never seen a game store with even half it's size. The amount of space for everything is amazing. The gaming area alone is larger than most game stores. Plus, there are leagues and game nights for just about everything there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended my first BGG.CON last November, and arrived early to participate in DGM. While there, I heard about Madness and paid them a visit. Amazing! They essentially gutted a Chucky Cheese and turned it into a gianormous game store.

I am not attending BGG.CON this year, so I was a little disappointed at missing out on DGM and Madness as well. Fortunately, I just found out I "have" to go to Dallas for work in a couple of weeks. Madness, here I come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valarie
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider, is chaos for the fly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lothartvni wrote:
I'm partial to GameWyze in Lewisville. I'm there 1st Saturday of the month to demo games and whenever I have a free Saturday I usually hang out there.

Suite 1458
Lewisville, TX 75067
(972) 316-2100

Thanks for posting this, I will have to check it out. :]

EDIT: Wow...I didn't even notice the date of that post. haha. 'Oops'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hitch
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Madness and Gen X are some great stores with great selections, but when it comes to the community at game night, I have to say, my hands down favorite is Sci Fi Factory, right at the edge of Keller and Ft. Worth.

The Tuesday night game night there is always amazing, the regulars there always bring a bunch in to play and are happy to teach new games. The host of the game night always brings food and drinks (They're free, but he takes donations if people want to help chip in for the next week. Most people throw a buck or two every couple of weeks to keep him making stuff.). Often, an hour before the store closes, he'll host a large group game of something like Ultimate Werewolf or Two Rooms and a Boom (last week was a record, 30 player game of werewolves).

Every once in a while there's been a few people Showcasing games they've made as well, which is always fun.

In general, there's few stores I've seen that have the kind of community among all their gamers that I've seen at SFF. It's pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RocketBlender wrote:
Madness and Gen X are some great stores with great selections, but when it comes to the community at game night, I have to say, my hands down favorite is Sci Fi Factory, right at the edge of Keller and Ft. Worth.

The Tuesday night game night there is always amazing, the regulars there always bring a bunch in to play and are happy to teach new games. The host of the game night always brings food and drinks (They're free, but he takes donations if people want to help chip in for the next week. Most people throw a buck or two every couple of weeks to keep him making stuff.). Often, an hour before the store closes, he'll host a large group game of something like Ultimate Werewolf or Two Rooms and a Boom (last week was a record, 30 player game of werewolves).

Every once in a while there's been a few people Showcasing games they've made as well, which is always fun.

In general, there's few stores I've seen that have the kind of community among all their gamers that I've seen at SFF. It's pretty cool.

If my trip in a couple of weeks has me still in town on a Tuesday night, I might just have to take a trip over there. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hitch
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Please do! Tell 'em Cameron sent you in and they'll point out the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ross
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t0urniquet wrote:
Lothartvni wrote:

Suite 1458
Lewisville, TX 75067
(972) 316-2100

Yeah, Gamewyze didn't survive and is no longer in Vista Ridge mall. But Boomerang Comics is in Lewisville, Area 51 in Grapevine, and Roll2Play in Coppell are all great stores that are fairly close. Also, More Fun Games in Denton is on the square and isn't the biggest store, but has a lot of games on its shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valarie
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider, is chaos for the fly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Visskar wrote:
t0urniquet wrote:
Lothartvni wrote:

Suite 1458
Lewisville, TX 75067
(972) 316-2100

Yeah, Gamewyze didn't survive and is no longer in Vista Ridge mall. But Boomerang Comics is in Lewisville, Area 51 in Grapevine, and Roll2Play in Coppell are all great stores that are fairly close. Also, More Fun Games in Denton is on the square and isn't the biggest store, but has a lot of games on its shelves.

I haven't been to Area 51 or Roll2Play yet. I have been meaning to go Roll2Play as someone handed out a flyer for it at the Boomerang Girls Night that I went to (This month is actually board game themed!), but I haven't gotten a chance. I like Boomerang Comics and More Fun Games. I have been considering going to the More Fun Games game night on Thursday but again, haven't made it there. There is also Reaper Games and they have a game night. I have been to Black 7 Comics in Lewisville and I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Boomerang in Lewisville to death - mainly for their rewards/loyalty program. However, I do tend to spend more time browsing the absurdly large selection of games at Madness in Plano. That place is a compound and I've seen it grown up, having originally living in Plano. They've definitely got it all, and in copious quantities. Check Madness out, and they have tons of tables to hang out by and play games all day long.

Whenever I get a chance to go to Denton, I always have to stop by More Fun on The Square. They're fun people to talk to, a neat selection of stuff stacked up left and right, and have surprisingly good, competitive prices on some of their goods.

However, I cannot recommend Roll2Play in Coppell at all. The few times I have gone, a new person working behind the desk had been so rude to not only myself but other shoppers across the way. The few times I had the chance to go, the experiences have ruined my want or need to explore it more. They do, however, have a rental program for board games. Although from my experience with the people behind the counter, rent at your own risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Medlock
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's been said but Game Chest has been long gone in Valley View and I don't think they have ever returned anywhere.cry
Madness is freaking awesome but a little far for you. It is worth visiting if you get a chance. Be prepared to pay top dollar for games though; they've got to supplement for the cost of a game store that size. It's simply madness!

Got duped on the thread date as well; Doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.