Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really hoping this game will get some expansions. There is so much that could be done with this game, with more technology, new combat cards, new units, new and maybe larger planets, new victory conditions and the list goes on.
Roberious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expecting Brood War expansion!

Medics, Valkyries, Dark Templar(ae?) and Archons, Corsairs, Lurkers and Devourers...

I can't even wait for the original to arrive and I'm Worrying about the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Hensel
Germany
flag msg tools
To be honest ....

in this special case i DONT want an expansion. The game is and plays perfect as it is. And there are some units "missing" from the comp game .. but hey this isnt the comp game!

Sumhow i just started not to like games much that pop out one expansion after the other. For example TI (ok they didnt do MUCH expansions yet ), but the shattered empires expansion cost nearly as much as the basic game.

PLUS: StarcraftTBG doesnt need an expansion to be a good, round, perfectly balanced game (most differently from some of FF games that needed a kind of correction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schemenaur
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
An expansion would be interesting though hopefully it won't be too expansive. What I am hoping for is possibly the U.E.D. with brown colored units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm hoping for is an expansion which allows the game to go past 4 or 5 rounds, so I can actually play a "Stage III" event card someday.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordazul wrote:
To be honest ....

in this special case i DONT want an expansion. The game is and plays perfect as it is. And there are some units "missing" from the comp game .. but hey this isnt the comp game!

Sumhow i just started not to like games much that pop out one expansion after the other. For example TI (ok they didnt do MUCH expansions yet ), but the shattered empires expansion cost nearly as much as the basic game.

PLUS: StarcraftTBG doesnt need an expansion to be a good, round, perfectly balanced game (most differently from some of FF games that needed a kind of correction).

I agree, an expansion is not needed. Unlike WarCraft where the expansion is needed to complete the game... This is not the case here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I have no problem with expansions, I actually look forward to new and exciting ideas to add to my gaming experience. I notice a lot of times that players complain about costs and not wanting to spend more money for games they already own. Well you don't need to but isn't this your hobby or atleast one of them? I prefer to spend my money on new games and expansions and if I don't think a game needs anything else to be enjoyable then I don't pick up the latest expansion.

I don't think that Starcraft needs an expansion and I didn't think TI3 needed one either but I sure do like what the Shattered Empire added to the TI3 game. Other games that I really am glad have expansions are, Descent, Runbound, World of Warcraft, Settlers of Catan, Caracassone, Game of Thrones and many more.

I think if I designed a game and after it's release came up with tons of new ideas and added features that would make the game better, I would want to develop them and make sure the gaming community had access to them and expansions are the best way to do that IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
model359 wrote:
Gordazul wrote:
To be honest ....

I agree, an expansion is not needed. Unlike WarCraft where the expansion is needed to complete the game... This is not the case here.

I agree as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roberious wrote:
Personally I have no problem with expansions, I actually look forward to new and exciting ideas to add to my gaming experience. I notice a lot of times that players complain about costs and not wanting to spend more money for games they already own. Well you don't need to but isn't this your hobby or atleast one of them? I prefer to spend my money on new games and expansions and if I don't think a game needs anything else to be enjoyable then I don't pick up the latest expansion.

I don't think that Starcraft needs an expansion and I didn't think TI3 needed one either but I sure do like what the Shattered Empire added to the TI3 game. Other games that I really am glad have expansions are, Descent, Runbound, World of Warcraft, Settlers of Catan, Caracassone, Game of Thrones and many more.

I think if I designed a game and after it's release came up with tons of new ideas and added features that would make the game better, I would want to develop them and make sure the gaming community had access to them and expansions are the best way to do that IMO.

I think TI did need one, as did Runebound, (an entire new 2nd edition!), their Warcraft game, and a Game of Thrones. All were pretty broken as released. Descent is different, and the other games weren't broken out of the box. Doom as well, but I digress, as the patch for that game was Descent. So they got the WoW right, and they got this one right. Not the best track record, but they are certainly getting better.

But it's Blizzard and FFG. You know there will be expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
At $84.79 the game already costs the same as a game with an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
What I'm hoping for is an expansion which allows the game to go past 4 or 5 rounds, so I can actually play a "Stage III" event card someday.
TK

Tim, you just won't give up on the whole "I want to play a stage III card" thing will you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because I know the expansion will have "Stage IV" event cards, and I want to get all my "Stage III" griping out of the way so I can concentrate on griping about the expansion.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve s
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mb
roberious wrote:

but i expect that many expansions are being designed before original games even hit shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slapdash wrote:
"but i expect that many expansions are being designed before original games even hit shelves."

I am not so sure, maybe for some of the games but I think the designers like to get feedback first and see how all the true playtesting works out the bugs in their game. Then they can get a really good feel to see how some of the new added features will work in the game.
Not sure why people are so down on expansions, I think it's great when a game get's more options it keeps it fresh and exciting.
Arkham Horror is a great example the Dunwich Horror expansion is fantastic, also the Burning Crusades for Wow, Excellent expansion adding all new elements to the game.
I still can't wait for an expansion for Starcraft and I know that Corey (great game designer IMO) will not let us down.

Roberious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's in the works, and I am looking forward to it:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/333431

Roberious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.