Phil
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klecks (Motley) is a very small, inexpensive, and quick HABA game that teaches children about colors. It is part of their "LearnSpiel" line of games.

Klecks comes with thirty tiles depicting various objects with well known color schemes (strawberries, cheese, apples, plums, etc). Both sides of the tiles present the same image, but on only one side is the image filled in with color. The other side simply presents a black and white image of the object.

Along with these tiles is a “zebra rod” which is essentially a clever way to construct a d4 (four sided dice). Each of the long edges on the rod are colored with the various colors found on the cards: green, red, yellow, and blue.

Bet you can guess where this is headed, huh? The tiles are laid out colored side down and each player takes turns tossing the zebra rod and picking up a tile they think has the color shown on top of the rod. Some tiles have more than one color (red and green apples for instance). If they’re correct, they keep the tile.

Klecks is certainly for the very young (I would guess 2-3). I played it with my three year old daughter shortly after her third birthday. She had no trouble picking it up at this point, and we managed to kill an hour while waiting for a doctor visit. It’s very compact and portable, so it was easy to hide in a corner and play. The replay value is pretty low, but so is the cost, and one hour of having a happy kid in a crowded public place was worth the entry fee in my opinion!

One gripe I have with this game is the zebra rod, which is already showing signs of having the colors worn off… and we certainly haven’t played it very much! It’s made of a lighter grade wood and the paint seems to flake off quickly. Hopefully it holds together in time for my one year old to also play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.