Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up the new expansion for rezolution and i thought I'd do a first impressions review.

The book seems to add a great deal to the already interesting game.

The usual spattering of Fluff, artwork and model photos is present, including a couple of sneak peeks of unreleased miniatures. On the whole I'm not fanatical about wargames fluff as some seem to be, prefering to read a good sci-fi or fantasy novel, but the stories in outbreak are as good as any other wargames book.

The opening story is interspersed with scenarios, the idea being that you can re-enact the vital scenes. This is quite a neat idea, and provides a string of 9 scenarios which can be played in sequence, with the story filling in the details between missions, the outcome of each mission having some effect in the next one.

The next section is the mission manual, with a further 5 stand alone scenarios, each with different setup rules and objectives and some are even for up to 4 players. These are a nice way to keep the original game interesting over time by giving players new problems to solve.
There is also another smaller set of linked scenarios titled "The box from Beirut.

The next section contains campaign rules, something that most skirmish wargamers are usually crying out for. The rules basically enable you to gang over a series of games, while gaining new experience and equipment and watching your team grow and progress (or get wiped out).

Two types of resource are earned, campaign points and resource points.
Campaign points are used to add new abilities to characters within your gang, the more abilities a character gains, the more it costs to add new ones. you can choose to select ordinary grunts and bestow the honour of "named character" on them, allowing them to then develop new skills in the same manner as an independent character. Campaign points are earned for doing well in a scenario, achieving objectives, killing enemy characters and for taking part in a game.

Resource points represent cold hard cash and other resources and are used to add new members and equipment to your team, entire units and individual characters can have equipment added.
There are 2 types of campaign available to play, Standard, and paycheck. In a standard campaign resource points are earned based on a percentage of the points involved in a mission and how successful you team was. A paycheck campaign introduces a map with a number of zones, each zone offering unique advantages (such as being guarded by toxic zombies) and varying levels of income. A paycheck campaign ends when one player gains a fixed amount of either territories or income, decided before starting.

The final section of the book introduces a new faction to the game, The Vatacina. These are kind of like the catholic church as a dangerous mega corporation of the future.
The impression of the force seems to be a low number of highly specialized well trained troops, most of the characters have a plethora of dangerous psychic powers to choose from, including the nasty mental blast which does 4d6 damage and ignores armor and line of sight.
The Vatacina also make use of sentinels, 3 legged scuttling robots armed with dangerous guns and the ability to impale models with their vicious pointed legs, removing them from the game instantly.

It's nice to see more another faction added to the system, another thing that helps keep things interesting over time by giving you new ways to play or new forces to play against and a whole new set of challenges to overcome.

All in all I'm very pleased with the book and would recommend it to any rezolution players, if you don't play rez what are you waiting for, it just got a whole lot more awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I'm wondering if the supplement will be enough to get me back into Rez, campaign rules are always a + as are the new faction. Too bad Simon hasn't supported the Ronin at all since the game's release, they're my favorite faction. Would have been nice to see some new units for them in Outbreak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the factions in the first book have had much in the way of new models added, I'm much happier that they went with adding a new faction over adding more to the existing ones.
Of the new additions there have been most are mercs which can work with any faction, and there are a couple of new CSO Bots.

The rules in Data Dump 1, which is free on the website even allows you to use these new bots as well as most of the old bots in a ronin crew, so I feel they have been supported as well as any of the other factions.

However i know there are some upcoming releases planned for the Ronin, unfortunately as with all small mini manufacturers these things do take some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.