Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that the reprint of El Grande Decennial is available can anyone report on its quality? How are the cards and other components...have the printing errors of the original Decennial been corrected?

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Jay from RGG said they would have available sets of 2nd edition cards for those who bought the 1st edition, and MAYBE replace them for free if i recall correctly. Being a buyer of 1st edition, i'm also curious to see where this goes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing a reprint was coming, I held out for the 2nd edition as well. All of the card errors have been corrected. All of the components seems of good quality to me - though I have never seen 1st edition to compare. I think everything was made in Germany for this edition as opposed to China for the first one.

The only thing I thought was "lacking" was the stain on the king. Instead of a nice solid color - like most of tht ecubes, he seemed to be missing a coat or two and was a bit streaking. Other than that though, everything seemd great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to fix many of the problems on the 1st Decennial Edition using a Sharpie. It is not perfect, but like me, it is serviceable. I am not sure if I would even opt for the replacement cards unless they were sturdier card stock or some such.

Though the stain on my King is solid and nice, I have seen him streaking on several occasions. Disturbing, for sure.

Peace,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some comparison pictures would be really nice...I know not many will have both editions, but perhaps you can mimic some pictures in the gallery taken of the first edition and set up a similar shot using the new components to be able to compare them side-to-side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queequeg wrote:
Though the stain on my King is solid and nice, I have seen him streaking on several occasions. Disturbing, for sure.

David Niven agrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my, this thread has taken an unexpected turn!

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Holman
United Kingdom
Harrow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I accidentally bought the new Decennial edition last week (I didn't realise it was out yet), and it looks great. The cards feel nice and slick, Drew, and appear to be of excellent quality. The Castile/Castille misprints are still there on the board - I guess they didn't bother re-typesetting this minor issue to keep costs down, but is a tiny bit irritating. It basically looks exactly like the pics of the old Decennial Edition, but with all the text on the cards.

All this assumes that I actually do have the new Decennial Edition. The cards do not have text missing, and the back of the box says "Made in Germany", not "Made in China".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get the second printing of the Decennial Edition, but I'm not sure how to tell from the websites whether it is the first or second printing. Looks like they're out of stock at Thought Hammer. Does anyone know if Cardhaus is selling the version I want? http://www.cardhaus.com/cgi-local/shop3.pl/picture=131489

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Holman
United Kingdom
Harrow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only discernible difference I could see is the "Made in Germany" text in small print on the back of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pum_ wrote:
The only discernible difference I could see is the "Made in Germany" text in small print on the back of the box.

Yes, but, was it written with a Chinese accent?

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pum_ wrote:
Well I accidentally bought the new Decennial edition last week (I didn't realise it was out yet), and it looks great. The cards feel nice and slick, Drew, and appear to be of excellent quality. The Castile/Castille misprints are still there on the board - I guess they didn't bother re-typesetting this minor issue to keep costs down, but is a tiny bit irritating. It basically looks exactly like the pics of the old Decennial Edition, but with all the text on the cards.

All this assumes that I actually do have the new Decennial Edition. The cards do not have text missing, and the back of the box says "Made in Germany", not "Made in China".

I'd like to know more. My issues are with the box, board, and tile quality. The box and board (2nd ed) are made with less stiff cardboard that most games and are covered with a "sticky" texture. The action tiles (cards) are thinner than "normal" cards and, of course, have the misprints. Can you comment on this and/or post close-up comparison images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Holman
United Kingdom
Harrow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to remember to check at home tonight, but from what I noticed the box and board appeared to be equal quality to most any other game, and seemed perfectly adequate. They did not feel "sticky". The action cards were of equal quality to cards in other games, such as StP, RRT or Phoenicia. There didn't seem to be any misprints - I checked them against reports on here as best I could when I opened it.

I'll try to remember to post a comparative scan of the cards that were missing text.

My only complaint is that the background pattern of the sea on the board is very "busy". I find it distracting, and the mobile scoring tiles tend to vanish into it when placed on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Holman
United Kingdom
Harrow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK Jim,

The cardboard my box is made of is perhaps slightly thinner than the cardboard of the Princes of Florence box. The El Grande box is larger, which may require it to be a bit thicker - I don't know, it seems fine to me.

The board is of equal thickness card as the Age Of Steam board (according to my calibrated finger-tips).

Neither the box nor board feel at all "sticky" to me (assuming my finger-tip calibration is OK).

As far as I can tell, the Action cards are of equal thickness and quality to the Princes of Florence cards.

Comparison image of the previously miss-printed cards here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/276481

BTW, the cubes are a little larger than the Age Of Steam cubes. To me they seem like the next size up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of El Grande Decennial and I was relieved to see Made in Germany on the back of the box. I checked all the cards and everything is a-ok! The only thing that sucks is the insert, which had collapsed and fell apart, so I had to chuck it. Oh well, I'll make due.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any offer from RG to replace the old cards with the new ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
Any offer from RG to replace the old cards with the new ones?

I am also interested in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the action cards may be a little thicker than before. I printed out the tuckboxes geekfile, and while every tuckbox fit, the one for the action cards did not have a sufficient width to hold all the action cards as they were too thick to fit all inside.

I don't own the original printing of El Grande so I can't compare the two directly, but the tuckboxes must mean something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R I
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
hey all,

i just purchased a copy of El Grande, not knowing the difference in the 2 printings of the decennial version. i was just trying to save a buck and the best deal i found was this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005UN1N?tag=article-boar...

can anyone comment whether this appears to be the latest printing?

i know the photo in the description is wrong, but i hope that doesn't mean anything.

if this appears to be the first printing and if i hear from you all soon enough, i can still cancel the order. but before convincing me to do that, can any of you give recommendations for a good web-store to purchase one from?

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That picture is of a specific El Grande expansion only. The Decennial edition comes with all the expansions included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R I
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
ekted wrote:
That picture is of a specific El Grande expansion only. The Decennial edition comes with all the expansions included.

wow, i didn't realize that. i sure hope it's more than just the expansion(s).

the description seems to indicate that it is the full decennial version with expansions. i just don't know if it's the 1st or 2nd printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poster may have simply grabbed the wrong image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R I
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
nousername wrote:
hey all,

i just purchased a copy of El Grande, not knowing the difference in the 2 printings of the decennial version. i was just trying to save a buck and the best deal i found was this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005UN1N?tag=article-boar...

can anyone comment whether this appears to be the latest printing?

i know the photo in the description is wrong, but i hope that doesn't mean anything.

if this appears to be the first printing and if i hear from you all soon enough, i can still cancel the order. but before convincing me to do that, can any of you give recommendations for a good web-store to purchase one from?

thanks.

FYI, now that i have the game, i can confirm that this is the correct/full decennial version (Made in Germany on back).

the only thing in noticed was that both region cards for the Old and New Castile were spelled using "Castille".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
Taunton Marathon 2009
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonja wrote:
So if I have the 1st edition, where is a list of full errata to correct? Or what do I do to upgrade my components?

Sonja

Jay has said that a replacement pack of cards will be available. It was due to be out by now, but there's nothing on the RGG website yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.