Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
There seem to be a clot of questions and a lot of clarifications about this but I am not sure any of them answer the questions I came up with regarding this card.

The rum ditillery provides $3 for every sugar trade good a player has during the income phase. Are those trade goods used up by the rum distillery? Meaning if I have 4 sugar goods do I get:

$12 for the rum distillery and $6 for having 4 of a kind for $18 total?

Or do I only get the $12 for the rum distillery?

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are separate calculations so if you have 4 sugar tiles your total is 18.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, that's what I figured, and that's how we played it.

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won the last two games much thanks to the sugar goods and rum distillery combination. It's very good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjac wrote:
I won the last two games much thanks to the sugar goods and rum distillery combination. It's very good!

Ditto. I already had quite a bit of sugar when this building came up, so I made sure I was the first one to buy that turn. After that, I was able to buy several buildings because I had so much money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bethany
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question regarding this combination:

During the end-game scoring, when you are collecting victory points equal to your economy, do you also include the amount of money you would make from your Rum Distillery (since it pays during the Income Phase)?

These extra six dollars/points were the difference between a one-point win and a five-point loss and neither I nor the other player in contention were sure how to rule on this one.

Thanks!!
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richB21 wrote:
During the end-game scoring, when you are collecting victory points equal to your economy, do you also include the amount of money you would make from your Rum Distillery (since it pays during the Income Phase)?

I would say no, because the victory points are for your trade good income. Your Buildings don't happen until after the income phase, so they don't technically count as income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bethany
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However, this building's effect actually DOES occur during the income phase... you do not get the income from the Rum Distillery during the buildings phase, but as additional income during the income phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichB21 wrote:
However, this building's effect actually DOES occur during the income phase... you do not get the income from the Rum Distillery during the buildings phase, but as additional income during the income phase.

This is totally irrelevant to end game scoring as you do not get VPs for income during the income phase.

You only score for "the amount of Spanish Dollars that their trade goods and merchant ships generated at the end of turn 8." (emphasis added)

The income from the distillery is generated from the building, so it is not counted as VPs in the end scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Then what's the point of the Rum Distillery giving money during the Income phase, and not during the Capital Buildings Benefit phase? If it doesn't affect VP, the only "use" seems to be that getting a Sugar from the West Indies Co. building doesn't boost your income from the Rum Distillery immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.