Subject: Trying to blow my sister's mind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Hemberger
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
I am looking for the next mind blowing game. My sister is, on the cutting edge of gaming. She always has a new game from some other part of the world. I always have to get the directions translated. She has a preteen daughter who is also a mensa member. She is big in gaming in D.C. I want to find something to blow her away. any new games or thoughts? She is a big fan of quick games to play on the subway/bus or long games as well playing with her daughter and husband.

Any help is welcomed... I have to surpise her for once!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does she have an account on BGG? That would help find us something unusual. Otherwise, what games does she already know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't suppose her name is Sue?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/smithhemb

who appears to live in DC and owns 608 games!!!!!!!!

Here's her wishlist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewwishlist.php3?username=smit...

EDIT: Further research suggests she has a 7 yr old daughter who's into Harry Potter. Does that sound right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hemberger
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Yup that would be her!!! A very kewl sister but hard to shop for. thanks for the info I am very new to this!!

the tricker part with her is she looks for games for my family as well. I am not sure if the list is for her or for her buying games for us. I have a 2yr boy 8 yr boy and a 12 girl.. in to Harry Potter as well.

any other suggestions aside from reviewing her list??? I should have know she would be on this site....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you could do is look at some print-and-plays: she's unlikely to have seen many of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, her owned list is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=sm...

but I'm not sure how much that helps!

Caylus Magna Carta is the only game I recognise as being easy to get hold of on her wishlist. You should be able to get that at most hobby game stores or online. It's a slimmed down card version of the board game, Caylus which, unfortunately, she hasn't rated.

Anyone else recognise the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheezberger99 wrote:

any other suggestions aside from reviewing her list???

How about La Città? It's a newly re-released game which she doesn't own. She seems to have a few similar style (euro) games. This should also be available at game stores and online...

Oh, and I like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of her top games that I recognize are very light. I would avoid anything too heavy, including Caylus and La Citta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would avoid anything too heavy, including Caylus and La Citta.

Ok Jim, I'll give you that (But Magna Carta is on her wishlist!)

Seems like her top rated are lighter games she can play with her daughter. Also seems that she enjoys deduction games though I don't know of any recent releases in that vein - other may be able to chime in on that

Here's a thread from a while back where she enquires about deduction games she doesn't own. You could trawl this and her owned list to see if there are any she might like but hasn't picked up yet...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/867870
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hemberger
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
thank you I will start looking for her. It is a challenge as I live in Wichita KS. We do not have much around here!!! Anything else anyone would like to suggest keep it coming!!! I realy apperciate the help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheezberger99 wrote:
It is a challenge as I live in Wichita KS.

Matt,

If there aren't any hobby stores near you (For obvious reasons I wouldn't know!) here's a list of online vendors:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Online_Gaming_Vendors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
And what are the odds that she's reading THIS THREAD???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang!!!!

She hasn't logged in since last night so everyone try to look innocent if she turns up OK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hemberger
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
good point... I did not even look to see if she was on this site at 1st nor did I know how to look. I do not picture her looking at the threads more shopping and getting info... If anyone would prefer to email me with good ideas you can reach me at cheezberger99@yahoo.com

As I said before I am brand new to this so forgive me. Not to mention It is 2:32 am here and my brain usually stops at about midnight and starts again about 6 am.

Thanks again for all the help/ resources!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised no one has mentioned 'Agricola' yet.

It's only THE most talked about game on the 'geek at the moment (it's the #1 on the "Hot Games" list, so...yeah, that's a true statement).

So far, available as import only - and yeah, you'd need to translate it.

But it IS popular, very much a Euro, and isn't on her 'owned' or 'want' list, so would make sense that it's either not on her radar or on a topic that is so completely uninteresting to her that being #1 on the 'geek doesn't hold her interest. (No tragic accidents on a farm as a kid or anything, right? gulp )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hemberger
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
I am actually from Southern California. My wife is from KS meaning I am stuck here for a while. Wichita is very uptown now we have about 5 Starbucks added in the last 3-4 years.... P F Changs showed up about 3 yrs ago as well.... And we now have Sunday Liquor sales starting about 3 months ago.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas, she already bought Caylus Magna Carta and she's willing to wait for the non-import edition of Agricola.

Sue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
She reads the forums. She even replied to one today about corrupting non-gamer family members, probably based on her experience with yours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
One thing you could do is look at some print-and-plays: she's unlikely to have seen many of those.

Clever man! His sister is not the least bit handy. The only game she's ever made successfully is Code 777.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
smithhemb wrote:
Alas, she already bought Caylus Magna Carta and she's willing to wait for the non-import edition of Agricola.

Sue

It would appear the jig is up.

On the other hand, I'll bet finding you here looking for game-buying advice just might have achieved your objective before Christmas after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No peeking!

In the past, I've found Sue's comments on obscure dexterity games very informative and useful. She occupies an underrepresented niche on BGG - light and fun games and dexterity games!

Check your mailbox here on Boardgamegeek. I've sent a few suggestions of my own. According to her profile, she doesn't own the games I've suggested and I have a strong idea she'd like them. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent you a Geekmail. Click on the "Mailbox" link at the top of the page to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.