Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: Sandbag removal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

This may seem like a silly question but I can't find a
direct answer anywhere. There are only implications.

One has to remove a sandbag if the unit leaves the position; but does the sandbag get removed if the unit is eliminated or is forced to retreat? Implicitly, I think the answer is yes but I'd like a confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Sandbag removal
GlennG (#48677),

Yes to both. Even if the unit moves and another takes its place during the same turn, sandbags get removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ekted (#48682),
sandbags represent a unit that is dug in not an actual dug in position in the terrain. So unlike a tree or a house, the sandbags are not a permenant part of the landscape but a representation of a unit which has fortified a position. As soon as they give up that position the sandbags are removed because theyre not actually a terrain feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GlennG (#48677),

I have wondered the same thing. I believe the rules say that the sandbags are removed when the occupying unit "leaves" the hex. If you read the sand bag rules in the book (and not just the ones on the card), the reference to the sandbags being removed is under the section titled "Movement." Under the section titled "Battle" there is no reference to them being removed when the occupying unit is eliminated. My interpretation based on all of the above is that if you move the unit out of the hex with sandbags, either voluntarily or because of retreat, the sandbags are removed. But, if the unit dies in the hex with the sandbags, the sandbags stay.

I haven't had that much experience with the game, but what little I have played, this seems to work out fine, in fact I think that the few scenarios I have played would have been unbalanced if the sandbags were removed when the occupying unit was eliminated in battle. Based on the other comments here, it looks as though I appear to be in the minority. Like you, I looked around and was unable to find any discussion about the proper way to play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wessman
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough I have the opposite interpretation. Trenches, berms and other improvements to a unit's position (that which the sandbag abstractly represents) don't simply disappear because the unit got up and left them. As an improved position it makes complete sense to me to allow a sandbagged unit to move out, leaving the improved position to be occupied by another friendly unit (as long as it's on the same turn.) There's certainly ample historical example of this, and it makes sense to rotate a depleted unit out of the line so that a fresh unit can occupy the defensive position.

OTOH, if a unit is driven out of a sandbagged position during combat it is reasonable to assume this is partly due to the destruction of those defensive improvements, hence the removal of the sandbags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.