Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Carpenter
United States
Naples
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.tehnolog.ru/product/zod/

Is there a retail establishment in the US that is carrying this? Europe? It seems Tehnolog only makes the game, they don't retail it, or ANY of their products, but the website doent seem to link to any US retailers.

Any of our Russian brothers out there??

hamster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Belyakov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Stop tickling my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I'm not even sure this is out in Russia yet. As far as I know, it's pretty hard to get your hands on Tehnolog stuff anywhere outside Russia, at the moment they're pretty local. From previous experience, the miniatures will probably be pretty good, especially for the price of the set, but the rules will be butt-ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carpenter
United States
Naples
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hip, I really just want the minis. I have done a piecemeal translation of some of thier stuff (thank you, Babelfish) and yeah, it's pretty simplistic. I think they may just not know how cool we think their stuff is. Maybe a nice email is in order. Do you think someone there can read engish? silly question, i know, but i would hate to think of what Babelfish would do to my letter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Belyakov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Stop tickling my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone there probably does speak English, you could give it a try, just don't be too elaborate. But, don't expect too much. I mean, the guys are either so stupid or so simplistic, that they can't even open an online store for Russian customers, despite the many requests for one. I'm not even sure they're in the habit of answering e-mails, so good luck! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Just bought it))) Oh, happiness)))))))
Cost me 659 rubles (23$)
Took a set with 2 fighters, 6 mechs and 10 marines. Quality of figures - B, but I'm not captious (It's my first russian gamelaugh ).

Yeah, it's really hard to find it even in such big city as Rostov, but I managed

Hope to write a review or session report soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carpenter
United States
Naples
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! my patience has paid off. Let us know what you think of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Sorry, I'm a bit lazy
Well, about box content you can read on the front page, so I'll jump right to gameplay, scenarios and my impressions (I got problems with Opera so this report will be in few parts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Scenario sheet
Each box of ZOD has only 4 scenarios inside (all different), so 12 from all 3 boxes.

A sample scenario:
Side A: 10 marines, 2 light mechs and 2 fighters must protect buildings in the center of the map.
Side B: only 4 heavy mechs must destroy these buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
I played the scenario above 2 times and both times I was smashed by side A, partly because I didn't have any measures against fighters (they are damn hard to hit ) In my opinion this scenario and 3 others were not properly balanced, while heavy mechs look tough they don't stand a chance against fighters and mix of light mechs with bunch of infantry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Gameplay
It is simple. First your opponent moves all his fighters (if any), then all his mechs, tanks and marines. Each unit have a set number of action points(AP) which they can spend on different things. You take turns until mission accomplished or 1 side is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
All infantry have 3 AP and they can shoot only once per turn. For example: you can move 1 marine into 1 space (1 AP), then shoot (1 AP) and finally move to another space (last 1 AP). Also marines can make aim shoots (3 AP), climb on the buildings (2 AP), jump through the window (1 AP) and hide (2 AP and place hide marker near him).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Mechs, tanks and fighters have AP in range 5-11.

Because usually mechs and fighters have more than 1 gun they can shoot 2 times per turn. Also they lose bullets and energy cells each time they shoot, so if you don't have enough ammunition you are walking dead . Also the more they take hits the more they break and less they move (have less AP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Fighting
The fight is simple. Each weapon has a number of dices you must roll when you are shooting and your target is in your weapon's range. To hit infantry, tanks and mechs you must roll 4, 5, or 6. To hit fighters 5 or 6 (and it is damn hard!!! angry ). To hit building roll 3-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
So for example your fighter "Vampire" sees some mech and it is within its weapon's range (5 spaces). Vampire have 2 energy guns each roll 2 dices when attacking. So you roll 2 dices for 1 gun and 2 dices for another. Each 4+ is a hit. Simple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Dices
There are some modifiers to dices. Some weapons add +1 or +2 to your dice rolls; when your enemy is within 3 spaces you add +1; when marines are hiding you add -2 to rolls and if you see only part of enemy (for example he is hiding behind a building) you add -2 to your dice rolls (the problem is it's usually hard to define a proper line of sight).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Weapons
There are 3 types of weapons: melee, energy and rocket/bullets. All weapons have different features like dice modifiers, area effect, double damage and "they-can-shoot-behind-objects" (I don't know the right word for that feature in English )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
Collision
Units can collide You can try to step on the marine for free (he need to roll 5-6 to evade). But if you put your mech on space with other mech and ends his turn they both recive damage according to their hit points (but they can still survive). All figherts are 1 time kamikaze if they collide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
About buildings
For me that was the best part Buildings are fun to assemble, easy and you can build tall ruins or few ruins with only 1-2 floors. They are stardy and very detailed, also marines get +1 bonus to range of their weapons when they climb up to the 1-st floor (then +2 on the 2-nd floor and so on). And buldings are the best way to hide marines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
My cocnlusion
I liked all parts and bits and it was 101% worth its price. The biggest complain is lack of really good scenarios and appropriate people to play it (my group likes something more famous and pricy yuk ), also I have some doubts regarding balance of air-units (better to say I really hate THEM!!!!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Velenty
msg tools
mb
I contacted "Tehnolog" via e-mail and they told me that they don't plan to create extra scenarios

well, inspite of my rating to this game it really deserves 7/10
I'll get links to some new images later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carpenter
United States
Naples
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! thank you for breaking this out for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carpenter
United States
Naples
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how big are the various pieces? are they to scale with each other? what scale would you say they were? (based on the infantry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.