Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Reviews

Subject: ASL/ ASL starter kit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This review has turned rather schizophrenic in my last revision and jumps back and forth between the “full” ASL game and the ASL starter kits. I will say ASL meaning the full game, and SK meaning the starter kits. Both of these are good games and the SK’s make a good stepping stone to ASL.

Ok, so you saw the ASL rulebook and now you are digging though here to see if it is really as bad as it appears. No, it is not. (for a small debate on this point see the BGG thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/117328 ) Although it is next to impossible to learn this game by reading the rulebook. I know, I tried, I almost managed it. The big rulebook is in a "reference book" style, and while it is great for finding stuff during a game, it is absoultely horrible for learning it. You really need to find someone that knows the game (who can explain things well), and I'd say that the average gamer will in about half an hour of playing know the basics. The thing that really taught me this game are the examples of play I found at http://home.comcast.net/~tomrepetti/index.html
That's pretty much the basic rules there in the infantry example of play. Judge for yourself if the rules are too thick. This uses Scenario A, which is now free at MMP web site under ASL classic scenarios, and can be played with Beyond Valor. But, by all means, find someone that has the game so you can try it out beforehand. It's pricey to get the rulebook and staring module.

My current advice is to start with the SK #1, which is considerably cheaper and only has about a 12 page rule book. You could just keep playing SK #1 forever and forget the rest(some people do!). You could just branch out to the other two SK’s when you’re ready for some more. There are no rules that you will later have to "forget", which was the problem with trying to go directly from squad leader to ASL.

What? You may ask, why is the ASL rulebook so freaking huge when they got it all into 12 pages? Most of this really has to do with the level of detail. The ASL designers seemed to asked themselves, "How can I consider every real possibility and put it into rule form?" ASL feels real because of this approach and is one of the main attractions to the system. They do back off on several points though, rules that would make it difficult or impossible to play this as a game are ignored. There are several notes about what they had to throw out listed in the footnotes.

For the SK’s it appears as though the publisher, MMP, instead asked themselves, "How much of these rules can we take out and still have it function as a game?" This makes a great game in and of itself for different reasons.

Of course the other thing that makes the ASL rulebook large, and larger as you acquire more modules, is all the special situations. You can play out whatever kind of game you want from half a board of infantry with machine guns, to (with added modules) very large scenarios with various nationalities, bazookas, gliders, and boat landings. In the desert, at night, etc... Normally, it's sufficient to just look up the paragraph for the special thing(s) you're using in your current scenario.

If you like the simplicity approach in your games then ASL is probably not for you, although the SK#1 is still worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
oops, my bad. For that scenario A you will also need board 1, which has to be bought seperately. It's about 5$.
(Edit-- check this out: I think the new edition(s) of Beyond Valor have board #1 in them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.