Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilderness War Warrior
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If i don't have media support cube(s) in the East (and my opponent too, no cube at all in it), can i play for the Event the card "World Series Ends"? I would say no, but the "(if any)" part in the phrase makes me wonder if i am missing a subtlety with my current level in english?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct...

Quote:
The player with media support cubes in the East (if any) may add a total of 5 state support in the East, no more than 2 per state.

This card benefits the player who "has media control in the East". If neither player has a media support cube in the east then this card cannot be played for its event.

The (if any) can be read as (if there is any). At least that is how I read it... English can be awkward in its brevity at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
You are correct...

Quote:
The player with media support cubes in the East (if any) may add a total of 5 state support in the East, no more than 2 per state.

This card benefits the player who "has media control in the East". If neither player has a media support cube in the east then this card cannot be played for its event.

The (if any) can be read as (if there is any). At least that is how I read it... English can be awkward in its brevity at times.

Oui

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the circumstance described, it'd be safe to play it for CP, anyway. I drew that card yesterday and my opponent had media control, so there was the possibility of having him trigger the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
Quote:

A slight clarification here for future reference in case the question come up for other cards: this card COULD technically be played for an event even if neither player had the indicated media support, but it's hard to imagine why anyone would given that (as you correctly explained) neither candidate would gain anything. But an event may always be played unless A) it was blocked by an earlier Prevention Event or B) the event itself says it can no longer be played (i.e. Debate Events after the debates are over).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilderness War Warrior
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ah ah ah, my next question was about event trigerring of card beginnings like "If Kennedy is leading in Civil Rights etc...", so i have my answer.

Thanks. (now frantically trying to find a game situation where it can matters, perhaps at the very end of the game before a reshuffle, to be certain the event would never appear?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The clarification is important for cards like High Hopes, which would trigger the event for no effect, other than to remove the card from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cleonhard wrote:
jearles wrote:
Quote:

A slight clarification here for future reference in case the question come up for other cards: this card COULD technically be played for an event even if neither player had the indicated media support, but it's hard to imagine why anyone would given that (as you correctly explained) neither candidate would gain anything. But an event may always be played unless A) it was blocked by an earlier Prevention Event or B) the event itself says it can no longer be played (i.e. Debate Events after the debates are over).

Thanks for the clarification, Christian. This is a subtle distinction that may be important in certain cases. So cards can always be played as an Event (except in the cases you mentioned), but the resolution of the card may be a null impact of the event. This actually makes perfect sense as, in reality, the Event would still happen but would have no tangible effect on the election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.