Popular Tags: [View All]
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulled this off the ConsimWorld website:

L2 Design Group "Ding, Ding, Ding" sale, includes any four of the following for $250:

Bitter Woods (fourth edition)
Russia Besieged
The Russian Campaign (fourth and fifth editions)
War at Sea (third edition)
Waterloo: The Fate of France

http://www.l2designgroup.com/dingdingdingsale.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Can somebody help me? Are these games remotely worth the prices they are charging?

Here are my data points:

I bought War at Sea back in the day for 5(!) bucks. New. Shrinkwrapped. And it wasn't even that good of a game

Russian Campaign. Original game is a (the?) classic. Every wargamer owns it. Is it worth 75 bucks (MSRP) for a prettier version?

Russia Besieged- Ebay has a copy for 50 bucks. Not sure how a dinged copy warrants $62.50.

I probably just don't get it. Could someone enlighten me?

Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Hi All,

Can somebody help me? Are these games remotely worth the prices they are charging?

Here are my data points:

I bought War at Sea back in the day for 5(!) bucks. New. Shrinkwrapped. And it wasn't even that good of a game

Russian Campaign. Original game is a (the?) classic. Every wargamer owns it. Is it worth 75 bucks (MSRP) for a prettier version?

Russia Besieged- Ebay has a copy for 50 bucks. Not sure how a dinged copy warrants $62.50.

I probably just don't get it. Could someone enlighten me?

Ted

I'd like to know these things, too. I can't justify spending mad money on Dice at Sea, especially since I already have WAS, VITP, AND WAS2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Requiring a purchase of 4 at a time, well, makes the sale not so useful.

The only thing I would want is Bitter Woods, and I wouldn't pay that for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
L2 games are generally known to have really high quality above average production values for wargames. I have their Streets of Stalingrad 3rd addition and seen most of the others and I can honestly say they put out a better looking game than pretty much any other wargame company around.

Of course, this sale is geared twoards a very select few people who have a lot of disposable income.

I wouldn't mind picking up Russian Campaign and Bitter Woods - but I wouldn't pick up a dinged copy as I want my L2 copies to be perfect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several of the L2 releases. They have some of the best wargame production values around. This is a good deal relative to purchasing the games at full price and they are usually not marked down much even on EBay.

That does not answer if the games are worth that much to you. I am not not much into naval games but there is a good deal of excitement about this new version of War at Sea over on Consimworld. I really like Bitter Woods and I think Russia Besieged is also a high quality game. I do not regret any of my L2 purchases. I have the games from L2 that I want so I am not going to go after this offer but it might appeal to someone who has been hearing a lot about L2 and has been waiting to get a bunch of their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree this sale is next to pointless.

I can think of very few people who:

A) want at least four off that list
B) are willing to shell out $250 for them (not a bad price actually)
and (and this is the killer)
C) don't already have one or more of the ones they want

It's C that kills it. Someone who is interested in those games, and is willing to shell out $250 for an order, probably already has one or two of the ones they want.

It seems to me someone with money, interest, and *without* at least a few of the ones they want already is a very, very small target. I mean, you need to pick four off a list of 5... If you have one already, and aren't interested in one, you're already out of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded for a copy of L2's Russian Campaign a while back. It was a good trade, but if I had paid L2 prices for it, I'd have been pissed. I really don't see the huge "whoop" over the L2 version. Some gamers acted as if it was the second coming, and when I got it I was disappointed after all the 'production values' hype. The 3rd AH edition is an excellent game and much cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

As others have said, the production is top notch. Excellent counters, thickness, big spacious maps. The designer is a gamer first and a publisher second. But there are better games for the money overall.

I'm not saying their games aren't good, just I wouldn't spend $250 on four of them. Give me the option of spending $60 on one. And yes, the games are not drastically better than the original versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.