♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm not sure if anyone else out there has stumbled across this "variant," but the first time I played this game, all four players performed a simultaneous reveal of the action they wanted to take. This only happened until the person teaching the game discovered his error, and we immediately shifted to playing the correct way, where each player revealed his card in order. The other three players seemed to prefer revealing our cards in order, but I did enjoy the out-guessing mechanism that took shape with the first half of the game.

I'd actually be interested in playing an entire game this way, just to see how it pans out in comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Re:Unintentional Variant
ejamer (#49252),

I'm not sure that a simultaneous reveal would add any more luck to the game, but it could depend on what you see as luck. There's luck in which card comes out of the deck next, but with a simultaneous reveal, it's more a game out guessing and second-guessing. Is that luck? I consider it more a game of psychology, but I guess if you're playing against people you don't know, it could devolve into simple luck.

???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto (#50012),
I would say it's not luck unless the players are picking the action bid card at random. The stated variant is more of a blind bidding interaction. That's not based on luck, although you might sometimes feel like you made a "lucky guess".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Lassonde
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The word you are looking for is "chaos"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
We just got this game on the table for the first time tonight, and despite having read this thread (it was a while ago, however) we did exactly the same thing.

We found it really increased the amount of times Power Struggles and Duels took place, so a lot more player turns went unused. Once we switched (just like in this example, mid-game) the board developed much quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got through playing a game with all blind-bidding (with four players). I liked it quite a bit. I haven't played the game very many times, but I think I'll probably keep playing this way.

It makes the game very psychological, as you're trying to guess what the other players want most, but they're trying to bluff you at the same time so they can get something uncontested. Makes the whole negotiation aspect of the game more of a central mechanic to the whole gameplay than the tie-breaker it serves as under the rules as written.

It also creates more direct conflict in the action-selection phase. With the rules as written, many times a player will simply select a less desireable action just because they won't have to fight over it. With the simultaneous reveal, however, the players end up butting heads a lot more often and the whole "power duel" mechanic makes a lot more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Malachi wrote:
Verkisto (#50012),
I would say it's not luck unless the players are picking the action bid card at random. The stated variant is more of a blind bidding interaction. That's not based on luck, although you might sometimes feel like you made a "lucky guess".

But it would often boil down to the exact same sort of "The wine in front of me" scenario that a great deal of blind-bid games do. "If he's going to do A, the objectively 'best' action, I should do X, which foils it. But if he thinks I'm likely to do X, he'd prefer B (not as good as A, but not foiled by X). Knowing that he's apt to keep away from A for fear of me choosing X, I should choose Y (for if he doesn't choose A, Y is better for me than X). But if he figures I'm choosing Y, he can get away with A..."

Personally, I think that level of chaos is largely indistinguishable from luck or external random elements. But, there are people who will argue that Rock-Paper-Scissors is a deep psychological struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.