Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just played The City for the first time, and we liked it...except for one problem at the end of the game.

The last tile was placed by me, which ends the game. It did not finish any features that had to be scored, so we didn't have a chance to place walls and use our last meeples as guards. But....

Then the rules tell us to finish placing the walls around our city. The rules also say that WHENEVER one places a wall, one may place a guard on it.

Then the game simply became a distasteful puzzle.

I placed the last tile, which didn't finish any features to trigger scoring. So who goes first in this end-game wall placement? The rules didn't say, so we assumed it was me because I had placed the last tile.

While placing the walls at the end of the game, I realized that I could easily count ahead and see that this every-other-wall-piece placement was going to force my wife to set me up for the best end-game guard placement. There was nothing she could do about it! As it turned out, whoever placed the first wall piece at this point was going to get to place the last one as well, setting up a guard that was worth 15 points!

This led us to believe that you're not supposed to place guards during the end-game wall placement. We thought that the only purpose of the end-game wall placement was to have the walls close off any features they could, providing whatever points that scored.

In other words, we think the game ends immediately when one places the last tile--it's not treated as just another round of score-the-feature, place-the-wall, place-the-guard, place-the-tower. If it was, the player who goes last in a 2-player game has a HUGE advantage. He knows he'll place the last tile of the game, the last tower of the game, etc.

Are we wrong here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the situation given, the game ended and no one was able to place any walls. Therefore, no one should placed any guards, or towers. The "wall finishing move" is not an actual part of scoring or placing guards, it is just a means to finish out the city for a completed look. So no one in particular builds this wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! That's what we thought, and that's the way we played our second and third games. They went much better that way...except for the part where the wife beat me in both games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
With the situation given, the game ended and no one was able to place any walls. Therefore, no one should placed any guards, or towers. The "wall finishing move" is not an actual part of scoring or placing guards, it is just a means to finish out the city for a completed look. So no one in particular builds this wall.

During this "wall finishing move" placement, are points still awarded for completed features in the city tiles themselves? Ie, if the placement of the finishing wall completes a road with a citizen on it, does the player with the citizen score the points for the road, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You pretend for scoring purposes that walls go all the way round, completing any features as a normal wall would. The only incomplete features at game end are ones which connect to a hole inside the city. Everything else scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. That's the way we played it, but as this thread demonstrates, the first time through the game leaves many questions...even for those familiar with the original.

Thanks for the quick response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.