Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first game, a number of queries came up, but a slog through the BGG rules forum has answered many. But it has also raised a new one...

If I flee from an encounter, and then of course the monster remains still during the Mythos phase, will I have to attempt to evade the monster during my next movement phase - assuming I wish to leave the square I'm in ? And should I fail this evade check, will I then be pulled into a combat with that monster again ?

Seems quite hard to escape monsters, should that be true...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are in a space (street or location) with one or more monsters during your movement phase, you have to either fight or evade each monster. It doesn't matter if you move out of the location, move in or stay. There are exceptions from this rule (when you return to Arkham through a gate you are ignored by monsters 'guarding' the gate for that round).
But generally, if you evade a monster you have to deal with it again the next round, if noone else did care about them for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargaze wrote:

But generally, if you evade a monster you have to deal with it again the next round, if noone else did care about them for you.

Not true... If you "Evade" a monster you can leave the location (assuming there are no other monsters). If you "Flee" from a combat with a monster you cannot leave that location and must either fight it again or "Evade" it on the next turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that monsters that appear because of an encounter do not stay on the board. They must be taken as trophy if defeated (unless the monster has special ability) or be returned to cup. they don't stay on the board, unless it is "a gate and a monster appear" and you are sucked in the other world (but in that case, you won't fight the monster the next turn either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Pędich
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Stargaze wrote:
When you are in a space (street or location) with one or more monsters during your movement phase, you have to either fight or evade each monster. It doesn't matter if you move out of the location, move in or stay.

Really? Doesn't it say in the rulebook that you only have to fight or evade a monster when you end your movement at a street or location containing a monster or leave that street or location ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not true... If you "Evade" a monster you can leave the location (assuming there are no other monsters). If you "Flee" from a combat with a monster you cannot leave that location and must either fight it again or "Evade" it on the next turn...

Aye, should have said 'if you evade and don't leave the location[...]'. But I thought that it was clear enough that you don't have to fight/evade a monster that is not present at your location.

Quote:

Really? Doesn't it say in the rulebook that you only have to fight or evade a monster when you end your movement at a street or location containing a monster or leave that street or location ?

True, but staying in a location is ending the movement in that location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
That's the way it is...

Easily the best reply - thanks Dave.

I guess I can always let the monster club me to unconsciousness __again__ then "teleport" away to the hospital...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Rancemeister wrote:
That's the way it is...

Easily the best reply - thanks Dave.

I guess I can always let the monster club me to unconsciousness __again__ then "teleport" away to the hospital...

This is actually a tactic we have used with the Madness/Injury cards (so you don't have to lose your Sanity/Stamina or any of your items, but only if the investigator doesn't already have a Madness/Injury card already)....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargaze wrote:

Aye, should have said 'if you evade and don't leave the location[...]'. But I thought that it was clear enough that you don't have to fight/evade a monster that is not present at your location.

This is the problem with rules of this complexity though, if you don't cover all angles with a statement, confusion is caused....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Mr. Skeletor's flow chart in the file section. It really helped me with a lot of the tricky timing issues that come up in this game and that (to me at least) seemed somewhat buried in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.