Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: The Bismarck! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just seen Cameron's documentary on the Bismarck and I was intrigued by the ship.
And, of course, my "gaming bone" started aching again.
So here goes: what game on the subject would you recommend?
Something about Bismarck herself would make me happy, but any WWII destroyer/naval game that you guys say is great would pique my curiosity.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you search on the name BISMARCK, you'll get a few hits. Most are older and available used. The only one I am aware of that is in print is Avalanche Press's game:


Second World War at Sea: Bismarck
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend the original Avalon Hill game. I played many a very fun game with it when I was young. The hidden movement aspect was unique at that time, and worked better in that game than in Midway, IMHO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jack Greene Avalon Hill edition of Bismarck is a good place to look.

Also check out Greene's "Royal Navy" if you can find a copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sink the Bismarck!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are patient, there is a game on WWII naval warfare on the GMT 500 list that is probably going to get printed next summer. PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 does not feature the hunt for Bismarck but her sister ship Tirpitz makes an appearance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies War at Sea has the Bismarck, along with some of the British ships and planes that eventually caught and sunk her.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Avalon hills "Bismarck", later edition.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2422

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko Ruf wrote:
If you are patient, there is a game on WWII naval warfare on the GMT 500 list that is probably going to get printed next summer. PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 does not feature the hunt for Bismarck but her sister ship Tirpitz makes an appearance.

I placed this one on pre-order the minute it made an appearance on the P500, but I was looking for something to try out in the meantime.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old AH 'Bismarck' is a great simulation of the actual campaign, which is a fairly interesting one and fairly unique--the crazy idea of a BATTLESHIP heading out on a convoy raiding mission with only a single light cruiser as escort, the clever way the ship snuck out of Norway (there was a diplomatic party onboard that night, the ship actually left mooring with some of the guests still on board, and sent them back to port in small boats to preserve as long as possible the illusion they were not leaving that night!), one of the first uses of radar...All this is very elegantly simulated in this game, and other ships are included as well for variants on the campaign.

The entirety of the campaign I think is even more interesting than the subsequent battles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
markluta wrote:
The old AH 'Bismarck' is a great simulation of the actual campaign, which is a fairly interesting one and fairly unique--the crazy idea of a BATTLESHIP heading out on a convoy raiding mission with only a single light cruiser as escort, the clever way the ship snuck out of Norway (there was a diplomatic party onboard that night, the ship actually left mooring with some of the guests still on board, and sent them back to port in small boats to preserve as long as possible the illusion they were not leaving that night!), one of the first uses of radar...All this is very elegantly simulated in this game, and other ships are included as well for variants on the campaign.


Whilst it may seem crazy (and most of Mr. Hitler's plans probably were) the German Navy of WWII was always intended to be based on a raiding philosophy. Whilst the capital ships were all designed to be more powerful than their foreign equivalents, they did accept that there was no way that they could compete navy to navy. Although it does seem incongruous that any navy should utilise such a fine fighting unit as the Bismarck on commerce raiding, that was the role that the German High Command wanted.

The Bismarck achieved its other aim by competing with and winning in a near equal fight against the Hood and Prince of Wales (one elderly and one badly under-prepared). It was then intended to maul and disrupt the North Atlantic convoys and return to Germany in a blaze of glory. That is where the plan fell apart.

Of the major German Naval units in WWII it was only the heavy cruisers (Prinz Eugen, Admiral Hipper and Blucher) who were not equipped to carry out full scale commerce raiding as a result of their limited fuel range. All other vessels from the battleships and battle-cruisers down to the heavy destroyer flotillas were designed to hunt, disrupt and destroy commercial traffic of opposing nations. Barring some limited success, this plan of action never succeeded to the degree that the German High Command wanted.

However, all in all, a very good game and simulation of the Bismarck campaign. Recommended.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Ahiksking wrote:
All other vessels from the battleships and battle-cruisers down to the heavy destroyer flotillas were designed to hunt, disrupt and destroy commercial traffic of opposing nations. Barring some limited success, this plan of action never succeeded to the degree that the German High Command wanted....


You're right, it didn't ... and yet in one way it did. With the Bismarck, and later the Tirpitz, having the potential at any time to sail and attack the convoys, particularly the troop convoys coming to the UK from the US and leaving the UK for the Middle and Far East, the Navy was very stretched, as each convoy had to be accompanied by two of the older type of battleship to defend against this possibility. (See Churchill's history of the war.) This was why the RN and RAF went to such lengths to destroy the Tirpitz in Norway.

A case of the threat being more effective than the attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:
All other vessels from the battleships and battle-cruisers down to the heavy destroyer flotillas were designed to hunt, disrupt and destroy commercial traffic of opposing nations. Barring some limited success, this plan of action never succeeded to the degree that the German High Command wanted....


You're right, it didn't ... and yet in one way it did. With the Bismarck, and later the Tirpitz, having the potential at any time to sail and attack the convoys, particularly the troop convoys coming to the UK from the US and leaving the UK for the Middle and Far East, the Navy was very stretched, as each convoy had to be accompanied by two of the older type of battleship to defend against this possibility. (See Churchill's history of the war.) This was why the RN and RAF went to such lengths to destroy the Tirpitz in Norway.

A case of the threat being more effective than the attack.


Agreed, although more succesful than perhaps it would have been if the U-Boat threat hadn't been there as well. Defending against surface and sub-surface forces was no easy task.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.