Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This morning was "Board Game Morning" on WORD-FM, a Christian radio station that broadcasts across Pennsylvania. They asked me to come on and talk about good games for the holidays. Their running theme was playing an ongoing game of Monopoly, so you can guess where the discussion started.

You can listen at http://www.archive.org/details/Word-fmSegment-BoardGameRecom...
or use the plug-in below to listen the 5-minute segment:

Overall, I was happy with it. I made a few mistakes along the way, but for what it was, it worked out well. And as it's radio, none of those silly hand gestures to get in the way.

{oh, and just because someone will ask it, I'm in the middle of taping a new BGWS episode now}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent job Scott. You are better man than i, to be able to know the audience and not try to push bgg agenda.

Also great plug for Wits N Wagers at Target, i agree that's a stellar party game along with Cluzzle which we play as filler nearly every other gathering.

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a gentle touch you have Scott. I think you threw the young Christians a little with the Tron reference (25 years ago!), but I liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:

{oh, and just because someone will ask it, I'm in the middle of taping a new BGWS episode now}

Hey Scott! When are you gonna... oh. Nevermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent job, as always, thanks for sharing!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Great segment! I'm glad they gave you the time to promote the hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good interview. You handled that opening very tactfully. I don't think I would have been able to resist the urge to tell her that there isn't supposed to be any money in the middle of a Monopoly board. I'm one of the rare gamers who doesn't hate Monopoly, but I sure do hate the "house rules."

Your game suggestions were spot on. I especially liked the fact that you mentioned games that are available in a national chain store. If we can boost the sales of quality games at Target, perhaps they'll see the benefit of stocking more of these great games of ours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
You are my BG hero, Scott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you handled the monopoly issue very well. Nicely done, Scott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Freeman
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi friend! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! I like your silly hand gestures though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I realise it was a Christian radio show, I am an irreverent SOB and cannot temper my natural enthusiasm:

Dude, you fucking rawk!!

In those few minutes, you did this hobby (and especially independent game developers like Dominic & co.) a great service.

Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Duckman
Netherlands
Groenlo
GLD
flag msg tools
mbmb
I may be a bit overenthousiastic but, uh...

SCOTT FOR PRESIDENT!

Boy, would the world be peaceful (or nasty, depending on how you wanna play it laugh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the great plug! That's awesome for us. I like how you talked about winning points instead of winning poker chips. That was very smooth. ninja

Also, very funny opening line about Monopoly. Kudos on the whole episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Very nice!

I do wonder why WORD isn't a classic rap station, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah Tron, such good times back then. I remember watching this film at the Drive-In eating KFC and in my PJ's. It was a double feature with snow white.

Pity that more people don't watch the old films ,before they had all these fancy CGI movies like Toy Story.

Name the first feature film that used true CGI? Hint:it was based off a video game.

I have tried Wits and Wagers and didn't really like it. Yes, it has trivia game and such ,but it seems too simple for my tastes. I like Boulderdash much better.

james

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j-train1 wrote:

Name the first feature film that used true CGI? Hint:it was based off a video game.

According to Wikipedia, it is Westworld (1973), second movie was its sequel Futureworld (1976), and then the third movie was Star Wars (1977)

Movies with heavy investment in CGI were Tron (1982) and The Last Starfighter (1984)

Read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery

--James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I think it is crazy that one frame of film takes 2-3 hours to render (or more depending on complexity). I guess that's why we don't see more of it.

--James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you suppose to guess not look it up on wiki. From all my knowledge of films I knew that The Last Starfighter was the first film with fully rendered images. I just read some where that a person build a Starfighter game cabinet with a working game inside. Perhaps it was Digg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that broad needs to find a new career. She is terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch T
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
You mentioned BoardGameGeek. I'm afraid the name might be a bit of a turn-off seeing as it implies to some that playing boardgames directly relates with being a geek. Ah well, very well broadcasted.

P.S. As I was looking through my post for errors, I noticed I typed termite instead of turn-off. I really need to stop staying up so late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerdofwar wrote:
You mentioned BoardGameGeek. I'm afraid the name might be a bit of a turn-off seeing as it implies to some that playing boardgames directly relates with being a geek. Ah well, very well broadcasted.

This has actually come up here a few times in discussion about the name, and I agree with you. The name has a negative connotation when you present it to non-gamers. It's like Ameritrash - we know what it means, but it doesn't sound positive.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
nerdofwar wrote:

This has actually come up here a few times in discussion about the name, and I agree with you. The name has a negative connotation when you present it to non-gamers. It's like Ameritrash - we know what it means, but it doesn't sound positive.

I think the bigger mistake was mentioning Tron! laugh And don't worry, it's not like making "BoardGameGeek" a less geeky name will actually make us all anything other than a bunch of adults playing kids games

Very good interview, though! You are the prophet of board gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
Very good interview, though! You are the prophet of board gaming

I'm seeing more of a St. Paul. Less wordy though.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.