Popular Tags: [View All]
A Thomason
United States
Carmichael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Swap the support chit for a build chit.

I dont know how all of the implications of this would work but do this. Also allow the random builds too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't swap the support action for anything. It is a huge positional element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Åman Pohjola
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think this would make the game a whole lot worse. The support order is the heart and soul of AGoT. It's what makes the game interesting, in part because without it there would be almost no need for diplomacy in the game.

Also, without support orders, some positions would be impossible to defend properly. While this might at first glance seem like a good thing because it encourages offensive play and weakens the fleets, it will screw up play balance. A few reasons why:

- In Starcraft, all attack routes are bidirectional in the sense that they can be used by any player with a transport on it. So all players have equal logistical opportunities to attack each other. In AGoT this is not the case because you can move over your own fleets. For this reason, most (in fact, all) houses come with defensive position that doesn't provide any corresponding offensive positions. The Lannister-Greyjoy situation, to pick an example, would be even worse if Lannister now has to commit front-line troops to defend both Seagard AND Lannisport individually.

- While pretty much every house in AGoT can make good use of the support order, whether or not one has any use for a build order would vary a lot. I assume the build order can only be used on spaces with a city or stronghold, and that it would be possible to raid them? If this is the case, some houses (Stark in particular) would have lots and lots of safe spots to play this order, while others (eg Lannister) would always have to play them in a raidable spot.

- It would disadvantage the houses who have a cramped starting position and fewer supply barrels, because they would be able to use the order much less before maxing out on troops than others.

- How do you build? Do you just get a free mustering in the area, do you pay power to build, or what? If you pay power to build, you will introduce yet another source of imbalance - the houses that have an easy time gathering power will be much stronger.

One positive side effect, though, is that it would increase the value of the Iron Throne track, since it could be used to make your build orders immortal with proper raiding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Åman Pohjola
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh by the way, something similar to a build order was introduced in the Clash of Kings expansion: a one-time-use order that was executed in the consolidate power phase and let you muster once from the city or stronghold you played the order in.

It worked out ok I guess, but the rest of the one-time orders were so bizarre and cheesy that we only ever used them once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The support order is the 2nd most important order in the game, in my opinion (2nd only to the raid). The CoK expansion brought in the addition of fortifications that can be built using a consolidate order. I think the problem you are trying to overcome is taken care of with the SOS expansion, if you happen to spring for it. The one-time orders from CoK seem to have been designed to fix the Westeros deck in the base game, but the new Westeros deck from SOS resolves some of those issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.