Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say units have been previously detached (no longer in corps with a commander) and are blocking an approach. This approach is attacked. There are four detached units (all two strength infantry units) in the defensive approach, so all must be declared as defending pieces. It is a wide approach and the defender chooses two units to be leading units. The attacker reveals two leading attacking units and on the initial result appears to have a victory. According to the rules, if I understand them correctly, the defender can only choose two counter- attacking units if they are from the same corps. Since the defending units are not in a corps, does that mean the defender can only declare one of his two units as a counterattacking unit? I assume this is what it means, because that is what it says, and Bowen is very careful in his wording. The reason I ask, is that if these detached units were in the reserve, only one of the four could even be declared as a defending unit. I understand that if detached units are in an approach, they have different and expanded capabilities and are not required to be in a corps. So I was thinking that maybe they also should have a similar expanded capability in counter-attacking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rod3556lhs wrote:
Lets say units have been previously detached (no longer in corps with a commander) and are blocking an approach. This approach is attacked. There are four detached units (all two strength infantry units) in the defensive approach, so all must be declared as defending pieces. It is a wide approach and the defender chooses two units to be leading units. The attacker reveals two leading attacking units and on the initial result appears to have a victory. According to the rules, if I understand them correctly, the defender can only choose two counter- attacking units if they are from the same corps. Since the defending units are not in a corps, does that mean the defender can only declare one of his two units as a counterattacking unit?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
rod3556lhs wrote:
Lets say units have been previously detached (no longer in corps with a commander) and are blocking an approach. This approach is attacked. There are four detached units (all two strength infantry units) in the defensive approach, so all must be declared as defending pieces. It is a wide approach and the defender chooses two units to be leading units. The attacker reveals two leading attacking units and on the initial result appears to have a victory. According to the rules, if I understand them correctly, the defender can only choose two counter- attacking units if they are from the same corps. Since the defending units are not in a corps, does that mean the defender can only declare one of his two units as a counterattacking unit?

Yes.

Gee Bowen, I wish you wouldn't beat around the bush in answering questions. Please just get to the point so I can get back to playing the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be abrupt, it was just that your question itself contained the reasons for the answer, so I honestly couldn't think of anything informative to add. Not that having little to say consistently stops me from talking anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.