Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have put this under "variants" but I didn't want to muddy that section with pre-purchase inquiries.

Never-the-less, has anybody tweaked the rules to remove the player elimination aspect? I'm still eagerly awaiting my shipment of Prophecy from an online retailer but wanted to hash something out before my initial play session. What would be a fair penalty? I assume the prospect of death is an infrequent occurrence, or at the least more limited than Runebound. If that's the case, should I even bother removing it?

Just curious. My group has several sessions of Runebound under their belts but most have never even heard of RotH, Prophecy or Talisman. The praise seemed highest for Prophecy (setting seems less generic than RotH and more expansions are coming).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nichols
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if the game really needs it. I believe that it would be difficult to die unless a couple of players are ganging up on a player or a player is playing the game recklessly and making bad decisions concerning when and which monsters to fight. Re-read the rules section on "Winning a Battle with a Character" (pg. 6) and see if you still feel the need for a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a2greg wrote:
Not sure if the game really needs it. I believe that it would be difficult to die unless a couple of players are ganging up on a player or a player is playing the game recklessly and making bad decisions concerning when and which monsters to fight. Re-read the rules section on "Winning a Battle with a Character" (pg. 6) and see if you still feel the need for a variant.

Would if I could, but my copy of the rules is still wrapped up on a fed ex track forging its merry little way to Portland (with the rest of the game). Sure, I could probably find them online, but then they killed a tree for nothing.

In other words, I was speaking from a position of ignorance originally. I come from a Runebound / Euro background (though I did play Talisman in the late 80s / early 90s). Neither Runebound or any Euros I play use the player elimination mechanic, and I see that evolution as a positive thing. I was under the impression death could come as easily as in Runebound, but my subsequent investigates into Prophecy seem to point otherwise.

Oh well, guess it isn't needed. Ignore the ignorant guy (me, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose one could make a rule that rather than losing your last health you lose three magic or three experience points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nichols
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enish, the 2nd edition rules are on the company web site found here:

http://www.zmangames.com/

Just click on the boardgames link on the main page and then the Prophecy box and you can see the map, standard rules, basic rules, and a reference card. But I'll save you a few clicks and paste in part of the rules from page 11:

Winning a Battle with a Character
Regardless of the type of battle, the results are the same. The losing player can choose what happens to her character. She can either lose 1 Health, or she offers her Items to the winner, who can take any one Item (including an Artifact). If the loser decides to offer an Item, she cannot change her mind when she sees which Item she will lose. If the losing player has no Items, then she must lose a Health.

Usually it is not such an advantage to attack another character, because the loser will choose to lose Health instead of an Item. An exception to this is if an opponent is seriously wounded and cannot afford to lose any Health, or while using some Abilities from Thieves’ Guild. Otherwise, it typically does not make sense to attack other characters in the early stages of the game. Battles between characters are much more useful during the Final Battle (explained later).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.