Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Cheung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to teach RftG tomorrow, and looking to see if people had tips.
The first two times, I basically used the reference sheet - Round summary side - and went down, covering what was written there. This works okay for Explore and Develop, but Settle is pretty hairy - Worlds are pretty complicated! There's the two ways to put them out, then the Windfall vs. Production, and then the type of good. A lot of "It's military because it's got the red circle" and "again, you don't pay for military..." and "halo starts with a good". I then jumped to Producer to explain good production, before explaining trade and consume. Then flip the card, go over the general powers and started the game.

The last time I taught the game, I tried the "bottom-up" approach - putting out the worlds and starting explaining Producer and working my way up, liek I read in Chris Farrel's comments. I think I did it wrong, because I got myself tongue-tied a couple times and it felt a bit awkward.

Other peoples' experiences or tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick summary:

First I lay out a representative sampling of all of the various types of cards: Production world, non-production world, military world, all four goods types, Developments, 6-Point Developments.

As I describe each phase I go through the steps so they see it in action.

I first explain SETTLE and DEVELOP as they are the only ways to get cards ON THE TABLE. I then explain victory points. And the how to win the game AND how the game ends.

I then show how Explore, Consume/Trade and Produce allow you to either gain more resources or to manipulate the powers that you have gotten into play.

I then go into a little strategy - particularly something about the 6 Development worlds.

When I describe SETTLE I talk about the various ways of looking at worlds - Production vs Non Production. Different types of goods. Windfall vs Regular Production. Military vs. Non-Military.

Good points to stress:
Exploring means everyone gets a minimum of two cards and they get to keep one of them. Exploring gives you additional options as does special powers on worlds.
I describe Consume/Trade as TRADE THEN CONSUME since that is the order in which each person performs the actions.
I point out the importance of production - especially for getting goods on Windfall worlds - AND how that if often an action you want the OTHER player to do for you!

Gotta run to work - hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound a little strange, but the person I was teaching seemed to find it easier when I used some appropriately coloured beads for the goods, instead of cards.

In fact, I preferred using the beads instead of cards so much, I use them all the time now... perhaps I'm just weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player aid works really well, IME. I deal out the starting hands, then show the types of cards from the aid and go through what makes each type unique, costs, VPs, and high-level "cards do two things" stuff (I know, they do three, but serving as resource placeholders barely bears mentioning).

Then I flip the aid over and go through the actual flow: look for new cards, build out "the galaxy", run the economy, produce new stuff for the economy. It's all there on the aid. I finally point out the starting hands and how they're different and what that world is set up to focus on first, and their synergies.

So far it's worked pretty well, with the exception of the consume phase. Because it takes so long for anything meaningful to kick in on that front, the real impact only dawns on people as the game is close to ending. So perhaps run through a sample consume or two with a few worlds in play, as it doesn't gel with only one or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
This may sound a little strange, but the person I was teaching seemed to find it easier when I used some appropriately coloured beads for the goods, instead of cards.

In fact, I preferred using the beads instead of cards so much, I use them all the time now... perhaps I'm just weird.

But doesn't that change the nature of the game slightly? Cards are no longer getting pulled out of circulation without ever going into anybody's hand. I assume that element is intentional in the design and not just an offhand way to save component costs. On the other hand, I don't see it particularly breaking the game too badly since you never see your opponent's discards either. It seems like it would certainly change how quickly discards cycle in a 2p game though.

EDIT: Just noticed there's already a whole thread on this subject, I'm not covering any new ground here. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/247527

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have gained experience in teaching all sorts of games I have learned that no explanation by you is as effective as just jumping in and playing two or three practice rounds. It is amazing how much faster people grasp the rules with a bit of guidance rather than trying to explain things. Plus it is always a more interesting way to learn.

I taught my wife and two daughters (13 & 11) by simply giving them their starting worlds and preset cards. I told them to randomly choose an action card from their hands and play them. I explained as we played and answered their questions. After three rounds of this we stopped and began again for real and they had the basics. Within four or five rounds of our real game they no longer were asking me what the icons meant.

It was particularly satisfying when my wife drew her first $6 development that combined well with the cards she had already played. She got this gleeful smile on her face and mouthed the word, "Wow" as she studied the card and then looked me in the eye and said, "You are toast!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.