Subject: Carc burnout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
I haven't purchased this 2 player version of Carc due to burnout on this series. But thinking about this game reminded me about last years Essen(2003) and how disappointing it was overall. Hopefully this year is better but i'm not optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
Re:Carc burnout
cnd_77 (#49452), I should probably try the 2 player version of Carc. It just wasn't a high gaming priority. I think i saw expansion on top of expansion and it felt abit overdone. That's just my opinion however. Anyway, regarding Essen(my other point), the last few Essens were not really all that stellar. Makes me long for the glory days of Essen, say 2001. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's Knizia.
nuf said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
b5mith (#49499), Point taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
db3000 wrote:
I haven't purchased this 2 player version of Carc due to burnout on this series. But thinking about this game reminded me about last years Essen(2003) and how disappointing it was overall. Hopefully this year is better but i'm not optimistic.

Anyone will get burned out on ANYTHING they do too much. But just because you are burned out on the series does not belittle this stellar game at all.

It's kind of like food. You may have your favorite food, but can you eat it every day? No, you need variety. But you'll eventually come back to your favorite.

Sorry...I'm hungry right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
Gamemaster (#49968), I think what threw my over to burning out on Carc was all the expansions to the base game. Some players obessively desiring to play with all the expansions at all times. I think that was the start of the Carc burnout. And,for the record, i haven't played Carc in about two months. Lately I've been playing Airlines, Hansa, Goa, Tycoon, Big City, Cronberg, Medina, etc...etc. Again, please notice that Carc is not listed. I still enjoy Hunters and Gatherers and play it about once or twice a month. Record has now been corrected I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
db3000 (#50008),

So a completely standalone unexpanded variant like The Castle should be a refreshing change. I also am beginning to tire of "Mega-Carc" ... which was all the more reason to go with a self-contained but interesting alternative in The Castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
thatmarkguy (#50015), It wasn't because I realized that gaming dollars are not unlimited. I purchased basic Carc plus 1 expansion and Hunters and Gathers. That felt like the right amount for me personally. I wanted to move on from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. KB
Canada
Unspecified
Manitoba
flag msg tools
db3000 (#49287),

Just as an alternate opinion to those already posted...as someone who hasn't suffered Carc burn-out yet, I own but rarely have the urge to play The Castle.

I can appreciate, and mostly agree with, the objective arguments that The Castle is a superior two player game; however, my subjective opinion is that mega-Carc is hella more fun.

Having said that, if I ever suffer from Carc burn-out, I would see myself going to something like Pirate's Cove (something completely different) before going to The Castle (arguably just a refinement of two player Carc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.