Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instruction says:
Quote:
Note that players who have drawn “The End is Near” Event
cards must choose those cards to play during this step,
discarding without effect any other Event cards drawn.

The event card says:
Quote:
Yuo must immediatly execute this card and place it into common play area. Yuo may then either gain 1 counquest piont OR execute another Event card.

Which one is correct?
I think, the card text, but I'am not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card text trumps the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The card text trumps the rules. I suspect the card text may have been finalized AFTER the rules.

However, the way I read it is that no matter HOW many "End Draws Near" cards you have, you can only play one extra card or gain ONE conquest point, because for all but the last one, you'd have to use the "play another card" option to play the next End Draws Near card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
Duch wrote:
Instruction says:
Quote:
Note that players who have drawn “The End is Near” Event
cards must choose those cards to play during this step,
discarding without effect any other Event cards drawn.

The event card says:
Quote:
Yuo must immediatly execute this card and place it into common play area. Yuo may then either gain 1 counquest piont OR execute another Event card.

Which one is correct?
I think, the card text, but I'am not sure.

Here is how we play it and how I interpret the rule.

you execute the end is near card. Discard any even cards you still have in your hand.

Then you can either gain 1 VP or draw and execute a new event card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. The card text is right, but it's getting kind of ridiculous the number of issues the rulebook has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
My problem with the End is near, is that it isn't.

Most players are always close to their special victory conditions.
The likelihood of all players not having their special Victory conditions, and then getting 2 End is near, is just so unlikely.

I spoze my problem is with the idea that the End is Near! Well, take the card face down and keep it for a while.
Dont look at it just in case the end actually is near.
Then, end the game before you find out if the end was near.

Still, 15 points when everyone else needs 20 seems like a big boost in the main game.

The REALLY YUCKY victory stuff up is the misprint on the compression chart about Human victory. 4 victory point areas is very much not 3 victory point areas, like it should be. This is a BIG BOO BOO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
magic gecko wrote:
My problem with the End is near, is that it isn't.

Most players are always close to their special victory conditions.
The likelihood of all players not having their special Victory conditions, and then getting 2 End is near, is just so unlikely.

Happened in the first game I played. Assuming players recognize early enough that they can't win if someone else does, the aggression to prevent victory conditions from being met should be heavy before Stage 3 even occurs.

Quote:

I spoze my problem is with the idea that the End is Near! Well, take the card face down and keep it for a while.
Dont look at it just in case the end actually is near.
Then, end the game before you find out if the end was near.

Unless they both show up in the same turn, the card name is accurate.

Quote:

The REALLY YUCKY victory stuff up is the misprint on the compression chart about Human victory. 4 victory point areas is very much not 3 victory point areas, like it should be. This is a BIG BOO BOO.

That's a Zerg victory condition (Queen of Blades).

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
No.
The misprint is on the compression card.
4 VP areas is on the card, 3 VP is what it should say.
Feel free to disagree, but we have corrected our version of reality with ink.

And No.
The End is Near may be drawn twice, but it doesn't matter, someone else will win beforehand.

I have drawn 7 event cards in the final turn.
I got 1, someone else got 1.
I never got to look at them, someone else won before.

"Unless they both show up in the same turn, the card name is accurate."

No it isn't!
Starting a turn in the third epoch. . . Bizzare!
We have never played a game where a 3rd epoch event occured!
All of the Human and Zerg Victory special conditions are almost automatic if the universe is evenly divided up!
How can 4 or 5 players divide up the galaxy and not have one of them get their special victory condition when the third deck arrives?

Octavian, Please stop quoting and contradicting everything I type.
Or better yet, please just restore edit and delete.
That way I can correct the above if I am wrong.

Or are your mistakes the only ones that should be changeable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
magic gecko wrote:
No.
The misprint is on the compression card.
4 VP areas is on the card, 3 VP is what it should say.
Feel free to disagree, but we have corrected our version of reality with ink.

I am well aware of the misprint. But you said it is a human victory condition. It isn't. It is for the Zerg faction belonging to the Queen of Blades.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon L
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
"Unless they both show up in the same turn, the card name is accurate."

No it isn't!
Starting a turn in the third epoch. . . Bizzare!
We have never played a game where a 3rd epoch event occured!
All of the Human and Zerg Victory special conditions are almost automatic if the universe is evenly divided up!
How can 4 or 5 players divide up the galaxy and not have one of them get their special victory condition when the third deck arrives?

That's debatable. Yes, if the galaxy is evenly divided, the Terrans and the Queen of Blades should normally have special victory as soon as possible. However, the other three factions MUST be aggressive to win, and cannot be content with an even share.

If you're playing with an odd number of players, I would suggest taking out one of the three "passive" factions instead of one of the "aggressive" ones. This should make for a more interesting game.

We did this in our last game (we cut Arcturus Mengsk), and we had a terriffic down-to-the-wire finish where the Overmind only won because of a victory point Event Card (yes, we saw 2 or 3 event cards played - thus proving my point of simply taking out one of the passive factions). Two others were right behind him by literally one point, and Aldaris would have won if we had reached the Play Event Cards phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a nailbiter game that had one set of third stage cards played as well. I got a Carrier out of it, which was pretty sweet. Went on to use it to win the game the next round, getting to 20 VPs, coming from way behind when the Zerg player got wailied on, tieing her at 20, winning with the first tie-breaker, as we had also wiped out all of her bases, costing her all her resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read a little past that part in the manual, you'll see it says that in the rare case a player draws more than End Draws Near card, he executes them all in order. It is important to note that the other players get to finish playing Event cards before the game ends, however; if they gain victory points from their cardplay it could swing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.