Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to read about Napoleon, but there are too many books to choose from ... any recommendations? I'm not looking for something too scholarly.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
cool Napoleon Bonaparte: A Life by Alan Schom. This is a fairly extensive biography that includes detailed descriptions of the battles as well as interesting tidbits from outside his military career. Be warned...this book is HUGE (like 800+ pages), but I quite enjoyed it. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vincent Cronin's Napoleon. This is hard to find, though.

David Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon is the definitive history. It is scholarly, but worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0815412134/ref=pd_cp_b_0?pf...

"Napoleon's Marshalls" provides a portrait of the man through the reflection of those who served him. An excellent read, it goes into the history of the period and also deals with Nappie as the leading character. One of my favorite books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My comments are really not about Naploeon the man, but rather the military side of the Napoleonic wars (e.g. not political analysis or biography) ...

Chandler's The Campaigns of Napoleon is a huge and very detailed book. So I think it might be too heavy-weight.

For a lighter, but still very good, high-level introduction to the Napoleonic wars (still the military side of things), look at Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon by Gunter E. Rothenberg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been enjoying the Napoleon Podcast at work. It's co-hosted by David Markham who wrote Napoleon for Dummies. Certainly not too scholarly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aug_aug
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tedhkim wrote:
For a lighter, but still very good, high-level introduction to the Napoleonic wars (still the military side of things), look at Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon by Gunter E. Rothenberg.

This book is great; discusses all the battles/era in a kind of summary and then moves on to how the soldiers fought on the battlefield. Great overview for someone who doesn't know much, I am really enjoying it and it adds a lot of color to my Field Commander Napoleon game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War and Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
robbydee wrote:
I want to read about Napoleon, but there are too many books to choose from ... any recommendations? I'm not looking for something too scholarly.

Thanks

I need to know what particular aspect you're looking to cover.

Are you curious about his military career? Politics? Impact on culture and society throughout Europe? Diplomatic History? What?

For a basic biography, you're not going to find much better than Vincent Cronin's Napoleon (1971).

If you're looking for a political biography, I'd go with Steven Englund's Napoleon: A Political Life (2004).

If you're looking for more wargamery stuff, Esposito and Eltings A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars is a good overview.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
I've been enjoying the Napoleon Podcast at work. It's co-hosted by David Markham who wrote Napoleon for Dummies. Certainly not too scholarly.

That's a great podcast. David Markham also wrote "Napoleon for Dummies" and is the head of the Napoleonic Society of America. The Dummies book is very good and a good read.

Campaigns of Napoleon, however, is very accessible and is the go to book for anyone who wants a thorough overview of the man and his military campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

...what?...wrong Napoleon?...Dang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to make the pastry, I recommend a cookbook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter what, stay away from Paul Johnson's short biography. It is a hatchet job littered with errors. Stendahl's account of his life is in fragments, but they are brilliant fragments. Felix Markham's short biography is a good and fair introduction to the man. Fair is an important word here. Napoleon is often either reviled or worshiped. As a rule stay away from most British and French historians. They are usually biased, with the limey's taking the "ogre" and "proto-Hitler" line and the Frogs usually making him into a tragic genius/visionary. Neither fits the actual facts, but it makes for good chest thumping I suppose.

Or wait for my Napoleon geeklist. I'm still piecing it together, but I plan to make it one for the ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I only have had the 'confectionery delight' called as such, and it was 'quite exquisite' at this! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
If you just want to make the pastry, I recommend a cookbook.

Now that's just lazy, you could've at least provided a link. shake

http://www.amazon.com/Tartine-Elisabeth-Prueitt/dp/081185150...

http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Boulangerie-Patisserie-Thirteen-...

Well I certainly don't recommend either of those. The first contains no instances of the word "napoleon", while the second is universally reviled for recipes that don't produce anything either tasty or resembling the photos in the book.

If I'm forced to commit, I'll go with "Professional Baking" by Wayne Gisslen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Do what yhou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - Aleister Crowley
badge
"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - John Galt
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a biography, but a decent read is How Far from Austerlitz by Alistair Horne (St, Martin's, New York, 1996).

It originally began as one of those annoying 'coffee table books' that are often more glitzy than historic. Horne liked the text, however, and would expand that into this volume, which is a nice and concise narrative of the 1805-1815 war years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Comrade_Sarayev wrote:
Not a biography, but a decent read is How Far from Austerlitz by Alistair Horne (St, Martin's, New York, 1996).

It originally began as one of those annoying 'coffee table books' that are often more glitzy than historic. Horne liked the text, however, and would expand that into this volume, which is a nice and concise narrative of the 1805-1815 war years.

I didn't care for that book outside of the part on Austerlitz. The rest seemed like the usual Napoleon bashing you get from the British.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.