United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here is one simple suggestion to fix the expedition card track:

Take out the most broken cards. Those are: advance without ships, advance without spices. They generally yield 3 to 4 of their respective items, more than the other cards, and are super powerful.

By reducing the average card quality, we reduce the benefit of the expedition track and bring the card strategy more in line with others.

And its very simple to do. Try it and tell me what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re:Fixing expedition card track
Alexfrog (#49365),

But then there won't be 6 of each of the 5 card symbols, and that just rankles the symmetrist in me. What about "advance with a 50% ship/spice discount"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hubajube (#49368),

I think the "advance without X" card is meant to serve similarly to the "flip the expedition cards" slot. After all, why have both "advance without ships" and "take two ships"? Because advance without ships will be worth from
1 to 4 ships, depending on when you need it.

Probably the best solution, if you want to go this way, is to change them into "flip an expedition card and take "colonist times number of X".

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hubajube wrote:
Alexfrog (#49365),

But then there won't be 6 of each of the 5 card symbols, and that just rankles the symmetrist in me. What about "advance with a 50% ship/spice discount"?

Thats the only problem with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#49365),

Fixing expedition card track. I played three games so far, whats wrong with the expedition cards? Would agree that some cards are better than others, but thats quite normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sillion
Sweden
Varberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#49365),

Instead of removing cards can't one fix the broken cards?

Here is what me and my friends thought out:

Advance without ships
Make it reduce the ship cost by 2

Advance without spices
Make it reduce the spice cost by 2

Return Spice for money
We find this car very broken especially in 2 player game. Where one player can spend some actions to upgrade the money track an taking some money and then have this advantage obliterated by this card and one single harvest action.
We are currently limiting the number of spice one can trade to a maximum of 3 and it is still very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sell spice for money card would be broken in 2 because the money isnt scaled for the # of players. In a 2 player game, it is giving you a much greater percentage of the total money supply than in 4.

To balance the money situation, the money track and this card need to be based on the # players.

For the advance without cards, that does make them much more balanced, though the ship one is then definitely worse than the gain 2 ships card, but thats ok. (After all, the colonization card is worse than the gain 2 colonists card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.