Subject: Questions about recording Games Played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Certain games (Doom, Descent, etc.) have rules (or variants including rules) for campaign play. Is there already a consensus as to how to record such plays?

For example playing Doom with the included campaign rules, the party makes it through 2 maps. Normally each of the maps would be a separate play. So should this be considered 2 plays or 1?
Note that with other games the delineation between what would normally constitute separate plays may not be so clear.

2. If a game is conceded to one player or side before the game has ended, should this be considered a "full" play, or should it be recorded as a fraction?

3. If a gaming session begins on a (for example Friday) night and concludes some time during what would technically be considered the next (for our example Saturday) day, for what day(s) should the game plays be recorded?

I realize that recording the games one has played is largely for one's own use, but I have often seen people try to cull statistical information from the data (in geeklists and what have you), so I was wondering if there was already a consensus for the above questions, or somewhere where such information would be posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not a set way of recording games. Most people do it the way they feel. I personnally record games of the base game plus each expansion (though some only record the base game unless the expansion is stand-alone). Also I never record any online games, but others record all of theirs. Also, games that go past midnight, I record as the day the session began. But again this is up to you.

In your case I would record each separately. Even though it is one big game, in my mind it seems like two smaller ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I record number of times a game hits the table, so multiple plays on the same day are only recorded as one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
1. Certain games (Doom, Descent, etc.) have rules (or variants including rules) for campaign play. Is there already a consensus as to how to record such plays?

Pretty much up to you, I would say number of sessions. If you do X maps in one session it is one, albeit long, play. If you do 2 maps one day and two more the next week it would be 2 plays. Alternately you could consider it one game, it just took a while. OK, so no real answer provided here

tuckerotl wrote:
2. If a game is conceded to one player or side before the game has ended, should this be considered a "full" play, or should it be recorded as a fraction?
I would consider this a play, i.e. log it as 1

tuckerotl wrote:
3. If a gaming session begins on a (for example Friday) night and concludes some time during what would technically be considered the next (for our example Saturday) day, for what day(s) should the game plays be recorded?
In your example of a single game or that ran over midnight I would log this as one play on the Friday. If you were playing a multi day, i.e. three or more days or one game that runs over multiple sessions over days or weeks or months, I personally would record it as played the day it finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I record games against human beings, whether played face-to-face or online, but not solitaire sessions unless the game is designed to be played primarily solitaire. Many people don't log online playings, but I don't see much difference.
Normally I only log a playing session on the base game's listing, even if I played with expansions, unless the session was primarily or just that expansion -- for example I'd log a combined Nuclear War/Nuclear Escalation game on Nuclear War's site, but if we only played with Nuclear Escalation cards then I would log it there.
I usually log as a "session" any playing that reaches or could potentially reach a conclusion of some sort. So if I play a lengthy scenario of SOPAC that lasts three sittings I count that as one. On the other hand, if the kids and I play three rounds of Family Fluxx then I log that as three. Naturally this tends to favor the shorter games, but doing it the other way merely introduces a new bias, not eliminate bias.
There are no rules, no standards and many variations in practice. I'm not even entirely consistent myself. I log whatever seems right to me.
I don't think any standardization is even practical. Should you log an unfinished game? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If the game hit the table but was picked up after one turn I probably wouldn't. If we played for three enjoyable hours and had to fold it up before victory was determined just because the kitchen table was needed for a meal then I probably would count it. Should a campaign be counted once or for each session? I've done it both ways, usually depending on whether the segments of the campaign were distinct enough games in their own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.