Subject: How does Hansa compare to Bean Trader? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the subject says, how does Hansa compare to Bean Trader? My group are big fans of the Bohnanza card game and I am generally looking for games in the same vein. Obviously I have come across Bean Trader (the 'Bohnanza board game') but have read some unfavourable things about it so I haven't bought it. Hansa has received a good rating and looks similar to Bean Trader, but out of curiousity how does it actually compare to Bean Trader (or Bohnanza for that matter)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No comparison between Bohnanza and Hansa
Hi Johan!

You wrote:

[...] Hansa has received a good rating and looks similar to Bean Trader, but out of curiousity how does it actually compare to Bean Trader (or Bohnanza for that matter)?

I've never played the board game version of Bohnanza, so I cannot answer your original question, but I have played the card game many times and on that I can comment.

I would say that Bohnanza and Hansa have almost nothing in common. On the former you are planting beans on two or three fields in front of you, each player "plays by himself" (that is, there is no common board to interact directly), it is easier who see who is leading (you just compare the piles of VP cards) and the VP's are gained by harvesting your fields at the right time. On the latter you are buying and selling products in the Hanseatic cities, the players interact directly because they control the little wooden ship together (so that your last move affects directly what the next player can do), it is hard to know who is winning (unless you have a mammoth of a memory to keep counting all the tokens that are turned face down) and the VP's are obtained in many different ways.

Both games are very good, I like them very much but they are really quite different. Bohnanza is a silly game that you can play just for the fun of it. Hansa on the other hand, is much more serious, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How does Hansa compare to Bean Trader?
Johan (#49408),
We played Bean Trader a couple times but haven't revisited it since playing Traders of Genoa which is similar in many ways. Chinatown is more similar to Bohnanza than Traders of Genoa, and I'd recommend both Chinatown and Traders of Genoa to anyone who likes negotiation and trading games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Landes
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How does Hansa compare to Bean Trader?
Johan (#49408),

I've played both, and really the only similarities between the two are that you pick up goods from one location and deliver them to someplace else. Oh, and "Hansa" is in the name.

Bean Trader actually is closer to a crayon rail game than anything. Just have all the paths predrawn, add trading and varying values for the goods.

Hansa is a little more abstract, and the emphasis is on influence and route planning.

Bean Trader is definitely the lighter game. Whether that means its a better game is personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.