2 Posts

Condottiere» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing in Pairs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] [View All]
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
If Iliad works so well in pairs, why not Condottiere?

When playing with four or six people, players may form groups of two. Players of the same group sit in alternating patterns (A-B-A-B or A-B-C-A-B-C). The rules are the same as in a regular game. Each player manages his own army and plays individually. Each player also controls his own tokens and is dealt his own hand of cards. Unlike in a regular game however, players may not communicate or negotiate and must keep their cards secret. The other difference is that a group wins by counting their total number of occupied regions.

Victory conditions: Players of the same group must together occupy 6 regions or 4 adjacent regions. For purposes of victory conditions, partners are considered having the same colour of tokens.
For a longer game, play till 6 regions or 5 adjacent regions.

I’ve noticed that in small groups, retaking regions works very well. There aren’t that many players competing for the same territory which makes it manageable for the defender to hold ground. The same is true when playing in pairs, I guess. More so, because the defender can count on his partner’s support should he be short on quality cards.

The reason for not allowing negotiation is that it would reveal too much and remove much tension from the game. I believe the same can be said of Iliad. The partners must try to outguess each other. For ex, should I play winter and hope my partner has a heroine or drummer? If I have the key, will my partner commit high cards by I attacking region X ?

Did anyone try this? I think it would be a wonderful addition, especially with six when competition can get heavy. I’m not sure whether the victory conditions shouldn’t be higher (10 regions or 6 adjacent regions). Yet they don’t double in Iliad, they just increase slightly.

Note that in a game of six, one group can get steamrolled when A occupies Northern Italy, B concentrates on the Central part and C fights over Southern Italy. In that case, B will get attacked from both sides. A better territorial division is to fight along the coast lines, where A would occupy the Mediterranean coast, B the Adriatic coast and C the northern parts (there’s only one region in the south).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this.
I'd like to explore this as Iliad fell flat, but my
'group' will play 3rd edition Condotierri.
Now to think....hmmmm...............cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.