Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have Fearsome Floors - which I love when I'm in the mood for a fast & light game with a hint of 'take that!' in moving the monster around.

I came across Formidable Foes (thanks Courtney!) & it looks interesting, though I'm kind of unsure about it - because of the low rating/ranking & some negative things being written about it. Also, I can't help but feel that the two are quite similiar, so perhaps there's no need for both?

So really, shoudl I get Formidable Foes?

Thanks

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schultz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb

I'm in the same boat. I'd like to like Foes, but not sure if its good or a matter of taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the basic backstory, the games aren't particularly similar. Fearsome Floors is by far the better game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Fearsome Floors and enjoy it as a fairly quick and non-brain burning game. I would say its a family game with a certain amount of logic and planning. Only played Formidable Floors the once as a 2-player adult game and just did not enjoy, did not seem to have the simple fun of "floors" for my taste.
Now I've got to get on with some planning and wrapping for my Secret Santa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2 and 3 player games of Formidalbe Foes and I like the game. My gf doesn't particularly enjoy it, but she'll play it from time to time. I think the game has more strategy than it seems at first glance, but I guess it can feel bland to some. To me it's a light dungeon-themed game with some interesting decisions...

Last time we played, I was behind all the time, but I must say I didn't use the ability to move the weakest monster a lot, mainly because the weakest monster is usually very far away from where the action is taking place... Also, even though I lagged behind in Wisdom points all through the game, I managed to steal the win at the end, by being at the right place at the right time and getting the last monster...

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, and apart from the latter being a thematic sequel to the former, they are nothing alike. "Formidable Foes" is basically a light dungeon crawler with a Euro touch. Explore dungeon, kill monsters, get treasure and experience. It was not really to my tastes, and I'm trying to sell it after two plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Be cool.
badge
No—cooler than that.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Formidable Foes quite a bit. There are three issues that could get between you and enjoying it, however:

1) The rulebook is a mess. The first time we played it was 'by the rules' as best we could figure them out, and the group consensus was a resounding 'meh'. It wasn't until I combed through the rules literally line by line and reformatted them with every exception and niggling detail listed under the circumstance in which it mattered that the game showed its true face. When played by the 'real rules' it's a great game--my group was far more enthusiastic about it after that. This is where the game really suffers, I think. People play it once, incorrectly, and write it off as bad, rate it poorly and never come back. Which is a shame because:

2) It's a subtle game. This is one of those games with a lot more going on under the hood than the rules or theme would have you believe. It really didn't start to shine until we'd played it correctly a couple of times. Then it got downright nasty (in the good way). Again, one incorrect play isn't going to be enough--and neither is a single correct play. I doggedly forced this game to the table several times because it was a Christmas present and by god I was going to like it or have good reasons not to. By the second correct play the game began to reveal itself, deliciously, as a very tight screw-fest, more 'economics' than 'dungeon crawl'.

3) It's group-dependent. It plays best with the full compliment of six, and those six better all be unrepentant meat-eaters. They should all think it's good fun to savage and be savaged. It's not nearly as much fun with four or less (honestly, I would skip it at that point) and if one or more of the players aren't cutthroat, someone's not going to have a good time.

Hope this helps!

PS. I own both and I'm glad I do. Different games altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schultz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb

I'm the tag-along poster, but all those helped me. Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
I came across Formidable Foes (thanks Courtney!)...

You're welcome, Matt.

Thanks for creating this thread, and for everyone who contributed. I'm going to follow my initial instinct to get it, but it was definitely good to see what others think of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
tonksey wrote:
I came across Formidable Foes (thanks Courtney!)...

You're welcome, Matt.

Thanks for creating this thread, and for everyone who contributed. I'm going to follow my initial instinct to get it, but it was definitely good to see what others think of the game.

No problem ! I think I needed the opinion of other 'Geeks & it's not the first time I've heard someone say the rulebook is a mess & therefore people play it wrong... which is probably why the rating & ranking is so low. But I think it's worth the purchase anyway!

Thanks,

Matt...

PS - Courtney, stop influencing me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.