Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Rauh
United States
St. Peter
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally landed a copy on eBay. I have noticed on discussion boards much talk about the leader variant rules, something to counteract the placing of poor leaders somewhere far away so as not to use them. Could someone direct me to where and what are the accepted or most commonly used house or variant rules for leaders? I recall the use of the term "red tape" but I am not sure where to find them.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Web Grognards (http://www.grognard.com) has something like a dozen of them.

My suggestion is this - if you use a variant to adjust promotions, then use one that adjusts casualties as well. One star generals drop like flies in this game, and two stars isn't all that much better.

Personally, I don't mind the leader rules as they exist. The Union has a hell of a time getting folks both promoted safely and then into command of an army. They can come unrealistically quickly, but I don't think it hurts the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard.com is a good site to check. Also consimworld.com which has a discussion thread for this game. You will have to search the thread, but you can find posts on Red Tape and other variants.

There is a "2nd Ed." version of the rules in the works as well. This can be found on the VASSAL engine site. If you find the VASSAL module for VG Civil War you will find a link to "files." The 2nd ed. rule book is there. Plenty of leader variants if that's what you're into. The leading figure of the rewrite team created a set of leader variants.

(BTW - VASSAL is a PBEM aid. You don't need the program to get the rules off the site.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rauh
United States
St. Peter
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. Did play a couple "solo" games with the existing rules. Now I am on my second solo game using a version of the Red Tape variant leader rules. The site to get an incomplete, unofficial, work in progress 2nd edition rules is here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...

This is the variant I am using and honestly, I prefer this variant over the original rules. I actually had to have Halleck command the Army of the Cumberland for several turns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.