Popular Tags: [View All]
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry, quit your whining: It's time for another "what type of character did you roll?" thread. This time the game is Mass Effect, and if you aren't playing it, then obviously you can make up whatever type of character you wish, and if it sounds credible, you will be rewarded in Paradise with lots of virgin olive oil and a dishtowel.

I (of course!) chose the sniper class, whatever it is called, I can't recall. Infiltrator, perhaps. Yes, for somebody who started this thread I sure don't know much about the game itself. Well that won't surprise anybody who's ever played a game with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Biotics-soldier. My typical strategy is to lift the biotics, warp the snipers, and smack anyone that gets closer with my trusty shotgun.

I've not played all that much yet, too many games to juggle, but I think I'm further up than you are.

And now, for my thread derailing attempt: Does anyone else think that the game is way too unpolished to have a 'core' this good? The self-shadows on faces flicker enough to be distracting, the whole 'branding' system in the weapons brings very little to the game, the shopping interface is atrocious, there's small loading periods that are a pain, the interactions with your henchmen are pretty much limited to one conversation per mission, and the romance arcs are the worst I've seen in a Bioware game.

How can the game still be so good, when so many things are bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
Half-Gelatinous Cube, Half-Beholder Bard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
"Intruder" the Pre-Necanthropic Ebon Brainwaster Contract Killer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take the pacifist troublemaker cook. Yeah. That's it.

Is this a board game?

What are we talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I am not loading it until I find all those damn power stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I'm the Guy Who Gives Out the Paychecks.

Nobody messes with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I am not loading it until I find all those damn power stars.

the one with Mario or the one after all 121 stars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorge: That's not too much of a thread derailment. Your character is obviously in the same general category as mine: The guy who finds the idiosyncracies annoying as hell but likes the overall game pretty well, and is willing to play it. I'm sure you're further along in the game than am I, since I seem to get stuck on battles because I picked such a crappy class, and I have to coddle my associates like mad.

Aldie: I had to take a short break from Mario because I'm traveling this weekend and didn't want the withdrawal to kick in on the road. There is no way I'll start missing Mass Effect in the middle of my friend's kid's birthday party, but SMG would have been murder. A real thread derailment (I hope Jorge is still paying attention) would be, "which cosmic comet race have you enjoyed most in SMG?")

Everybody who invented a class: Very good! There will be extra virgin olive oil for you in Paradise. (Who doesn't like that sort of ambiguity?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the infiltrator is that bad: It's probably just not all that great for the first few levels.

Don't judge the character until it's at least level 15 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not playing it. But I did just quit Eve and plug in my old X-Box. And started playing Civ IV online with Jason...yarr!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an engineer with a tech specialty. It's delightful to hack an enemy robot and watch him take out the other bad guys in the room.

I'm really digging the game even though it feels like "JAG in space". The only thing that bugs me is all of the damn elevators. Does anyone else hum "Spanish Flea" during the elevator sequences besides me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzix wrote:
I'm an engineer with a tech specialty. It's delightful to hack an enemy robot and watch him take out the other bad guys in the room.

I'm really digging the game even though it feels like "JAG in space". The only thing that bugs me is all of the damn elevators. Does anyone else hum "Spanish Flea" during the elevator sequences besides me?

For me it's "Girl From Ipanema."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am the ignominious & indefatigable & inglorious "Gazebo"! robot "bring it ON!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I don't think the infiltrator is that bad: It's probably just not all that great for the first few levels.

Don't judge the character until it's at least level 15 or so.

Well first of all, I never judge the character class...just the player. The emphasis for the majority of early fights has been on the pistol, for my guy, while whomever else I bring along usually just gets themselves killed because they never seem to take cover or go specifically where I tell them to go. But that's their problem, not mine. My guy is fast enough at decoding door locks and jumping into nice safe vehicles with turrets when the really tough monsters show up.... I just resent like hell that my teammates, no matter what upgrades I seem to give them, just stand there half the time wondering why their shields are dwindling to nothing.

I'm also sad that I gave up on the location of the 21st keeper and left the Citadel...sure, I will go back eventually and find it, but I'll probably have to encounter the first 20 all over again at least three times before the one that seems to be hiding from me shows up.

I'm also sad that the best puzzle they came up with so far is a modified Towers of Hanoi...come on, BioWare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm level 32 right now. I've gone through 3 planets after the citadel. So far, I've only seen two puzzles, and one was Towers of Hanoi. And the other puzzle was very pedestrian. The rest has been Run 'n' Gun, with conversations in between.

Outside of the action based combat, they've not strayed from the KOTOR formula one bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
....Outside of the action based combat, they've not strayed from the KOTOR formula one bit.

And that's just fine by me. The story is strong enough that I want to keep playing and the actual gameplay isn't cumbersome (like Oblivion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I'm level 32 right now. I've gone through 3 planets after the citadel. So far, I've only seen two puzzles, and one was Towers of Hanoi. And the other puzzle was very pedestrian. The rest has been Run 'n' Gun, with conversations in between.

Outside of the action based combat, they've not strayed from the KOTOR formula one bit.

Oh, if it is like KOTOR maybe I ought to play it... I loved KOTOR. (But the combat was clunky, I concede.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.