Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malcolm Booker
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have played 3 times now and every time the winner has been the player who has created a power base in the south-east corner.

Have others experienced this phenomena?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Winner always starts in the south east
mbooker (#49586),
Actually, that is odd, since it's our experience that whomever grabs something north or northeast is usually in top position. We played this last Friday, I got into a vicious (and, for me, losing) battle over the southwest. The person that won the game had dominated the southern part of the board the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbooker (#49586),

I think it might be more correct to say that:
"winners tend to dominate a corner."

The way the map is structured and the way the scoring system works if you can get a well defended corner its easy to build stuff and snag points. With limited movement your opponents aren't going to be able to dive through two territories easily in the vital winter rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbooker (#49586),
I've won some games, but 1 I started in the SE corner, I lost. Also, note the most gold (7) is west and the 2 5 wheats
are up north...???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Booker
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
mbooker (#49586),
Update: We played last night and the territories for the south east corner were not drawn at the beginning. Since it took me until the second year to secure that corner I didn't win.

The winner came from the south-west where that player managed to get most of his regions at the beginning of the game and just built a barrier to build buildings behind his front lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbooker (#53339)A little while back 1 winner had all CENTRAL regions- no corners.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naaaaa. I've played a few games now all with advanced set up and there seems no correlation between starting position and an increased number of wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me in agreement to the last two commentees. I too have won playing the middle. Good, clear thinking is what you need. Corners are less important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me in agreement to the last three commentees. I have not noticed a victory pattern, other than unvarying focus on obtaining victory points.

A strong group of territories intersecting 3 or 4 different regions seems to be a better strategy. This allows a player to maximize buildings and majorities.

A player dominating a corner has an advantage if the other players are at each other's throats during the game, and end up diluting majority bonus points between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.