Daniel Wilcox
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any tips on the construction of the actual game? The tightly packed hex tiles are tough to cut with a Fiskars paper cutter Just wanted to know what other people used. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I build a lot of paper/card models which require a lot of fine cutting, and my weapon of choice is a retractable box-knife with a 1/2" blade. (The kind that snaps off to give a fresh edge.)

The other favorites are obvious, x-acto knives and fine pointed scissors.

Just take your time, use a very sharp implement, a cutting mat, and remember that several lighter cuts are easier to control than trying to saw through heavy stock in a single pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilcox
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Marshall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I build a lot of card models too, and I'm in the middle of assembling a set of Pocket Civ. I've been using fine-pointed scissors to cut out the cardstock hex tiles, and then sticking them to the backs of vinyl tiles for some extra bulk. The first page I stuck to a tile without cutting out the individual hex areas, that was probably a mistake.

This vinyl tile idea is new to me, but I love it, it cuts easily with a solid pair of scissors, or breaks after scoring with a blade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, Vinyl?

Can you pick it up at a craft store like Michaels? or a better question is: where would be the place to get it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can sometimes find them at dollar stores, and you should be able to find them at your big box hardware store of choice. They're 1'x1' flooring squares with adhesive backs. Some have black adhesive, which can obscure details on thinner paper, so do some testing before committing your good printouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hint : Print the tiles to paper. Cut out the paper tiles then stick these to card leaving gaps between them so they are easy to cut out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.