Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching the Dallas-Green Bay football game on a baby network I've never watched before (didn't even know we had it until a week or two ago) and I see referees prancing around in Jill Munroe pants suits.

What's up with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
NFL Network is awesome. Easily what my box is tuned to for at least 50% of the time that the television is actually on (and not being used for videogames).

That said, their actual game coverage is really bad.

On the topic at hand, wha?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Gumball called tons of things wrong, and if I can actually spot that - you know it's way off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty ticked off with Comcast here in Pennsylvania...I'm pretty sure I pay the maximum amount of money that's humanly possible to a cable provider, and they don't let me view NFL or NFLHD. This is probably the one game of the year I'd really liked to have watched. Oh well, I was rooting for Green Bay, so I guess I'm not sorry I missed it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I am pretty ticked off with Comcast here in Pennsylvania...I'm pretty sure I pay the maximum amount of money that's humanly possible to a cable provider, and they don't let me view NFL or NFLHD. This is probably the one game of the year I'd really liked to have watched. Oh well, I was rooting for Green Bay, so I guess I'm not sorry I missed it....

I have Comcast. Do you have the premium sports package?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

I'm a Green Bay fan as well, but was actually encouraged by the game even though we lost! We gave them a run for their money without a bunch of key players on defense. Hopefully, we'll have those guys back for the playoffs. Should be a good game if both teams can make their way to the NFC championship!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really rather listen to fingernails scraping blackboards then listen to Gumbel. I switched when he referred to the Dallas offense as the Green Bay offense.

Muted the LCD and turned up 93.3 FM "The Bone" and listened to Brad and Babe call the game.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get strictly broadcast TV, and I wanted to listen to the game on the radio, but neither of the AM sports stations in Cincinnati picked it up. Apparently, Louisville football and NBA basketball (don't ask -- I don't know which game was on) get better ratings around here than the biggest regular season NFC game this year.

So I checked the game out on NFL.com/live, and I was pleasantly surprised. They showed a bunch of it live (if a bit grainy) and replayed several key plays that weren't shown live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

I'm a Green Bay fan as well, but was actually encouraged by the game even though we lost! We gave them a run for their money without a bunch of key players on defense. Hopefully, we'll have those guys back for the playoffs. Should be a good game if both teams can make their way to the NFC championship!

We also discovered that our backup quarterback isn't too bad either.

But hopefully Farve will be back next week for Oakland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to include a snide remark about Gumbel in my original post, but others have jumped right in. Good job!

I'm wondering how he was ever a sports play-by-play stud with that voice.

Anyway, this is all nice Friday morning quarterbacking, but I still want to know about those referee pajamas. Have they been around all year and I've just missed them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Back on topic:

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/2006...

http://www.seslendirme.org/mynet_resimlerim/x1charlieninmele...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I'm wondering how he was ever a sports play-by-play stud with that voice.

If I didn't know that Robin Roberts had left sports broadcasting years ago, I would have sworn it was her. You had to take your cue from the crowd when something was happening (I had it on while cleaning in the kitchen), because he just labored on in his monotone all night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collinsworth is talking about Marion Barber....Gumbel responds, "Mike McCarthy says he's the heart of this Packer offense"...while the Dallas offense is on the field.

I don't know what was up with the play calling in the first quarter. Favre was getting hit on almost every play and they were still calling deep passes on every play. Once Rodgers got in there they seemed to get back to their normal offense.

Sounds like Favre has a sprained right elbow and a dislocated left shoulder. Hope he's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Back on topic:
Yeah, but last night's refs had not only the slimming vertical narrowing stripes, but bold white side stripes down the pants legs. I had bad flashbacks to my basketball warm-up suits from the 70s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I had bad flashbacks to my basketball warm-up suits from the 70s.

"Now officiating tonights Dallas Cowboys vs. the Washington Redskins game is.....The Harlem Globtrotters!"

//No one ever expects the Harlem Globetrotters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
Collinsworth is talking about Marion Barber....Gumbel responds, "Mike McCarthy says he's the heart of this Packer offense"...while the Dallas offense is on the field.

I thought I was hearing things. Glad to see it wasn't just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone that has heard Gumball call a game knows he can't keep up, and this time, I was more annoyed because they must have qued Collinsworth to keep talking... he wouldn't shut up... Worse than Madden.

I agree that in spite of the loss, it was a good game and showed that on offense, Brett isn't the difference maker... our recievers are top notch in the league and Grant can come through or us in a pinch.

On Defence... it's obvious... we need to get a replacement for Bigby and probably Popinga, and a better back up for Woodson. I think if Woodson is healthy, that game has a good chance of going our way. Also, We really missed KGB... Alot of times, Kampman bust through on his side and Romo would just evaded to the other side.

Also, Congrats to Romo and those f'ing Cowboys... as much as I hate them and thier stupid stadium, they played really well and Romo especially did a great job reading our Defence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryno8 wrote:
Anyone that has heard Gumball call a game knows he can't keep up, and this time, I was more annoyed because they must have qued Collinsworth to keep talking... he wouldn't shut up... Worse than Madden.
Funny, I noticed that too. My wife came in for a short part of the game and I mentioned that I thought the play-by-play announcer was Bryant Gumbel and that his voice wasn't well suited for, well, voice work. She listened for awhile and I had to keep saying, "That guy talking is an old reciever who's the 'color man'." I don't know if she ever got to hear Gumbel speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
Why, when I hear Gumbel call a game, do I see Kermit the Frog in my mind's eye?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I was watching the Dallas-Green Bay football game on a baby network I've never watched before (didn't even know we had it until a week or two ago) and I see referees prancing around in Jill Munroe pants suits.

What's up with that?

I've been wondering that for the past 2 years. I think the new NFL Referee uniforms are atrocious. I'd expect to see something like that doing youth-league football somewhere. In the NFL, it looks (to me) unprofessional and silly. It's hard to take them seriously when they look as ridiculous as they do since they changed to "snazzy, supposedly cool" uniforms.

Maybe they are just trying to keep down the number of referees who want to vie for NFL positions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryno8 wrote:

Also, Congrats to Romo and those f'ing Cowboys... as much as I hate them and thier stupid stadium, they played really well and Romo especially did a great job reading our Defence.

Thanks for the high praise, Ryan. The "stupid stadium" will soon be replaced by a state of the art, awe-inspiring miracle of modern sports architecture located in the greatness that is Arlington, TX.

You Cheeseheads will still have Lambeau, however, that oft-times frozen cow pasture you call a stadium.

The teams are really quite close as their records and the 3rd quarter indicated.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
Ryno8 wrote:

Thanks for the high praise, Ryan. The "stupid stadium" will soon be replaced by a state of the art, awe-inspiring miracle of modern sports architecture located in the greatness that is Arlington, TX.

...with a hole in its roof.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Packers didn't roll over, so while it is a tough loss for several reasons, it is also encouraging. If they get healthy and stay healthy in time for the play-offs, we should have one amazing NFC championship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more a vent from all the grief I've been getting locally today... but...

"America's Team" is a term the Cowboy's appointed themselves.... (this from a state that uses the term the United States of ...Texas)

Titletown is what the NFL calls Green Bay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryno8 wrote:
This is more a vent from all the grief I've been getting locally today... but...

"America's Team" is a term the Cowboy's appointed themselves.... (this from a state that uses the term the United States of ...Texas)

Titletown is what the NFL calls Green Bay!

I call them A Spot That's Too Godawful Far Away and A Spot That's Too Godawful Far Away and Too Godawful Cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.