Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What do you do if you finish with zero cards to start the next hand?

rules says it does not matter if you have less card to start the next hand... but what about if you end up with not cards?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:empty hand for next round?
Hi Fer!

The sequence of play is play cards and then fill hand to 7 cards. If the player has no cards in his hand he just skips the first phase and goes directly to refill his hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, i just read the reply...
refill only, not play... how sad.
fer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
fmoros (#59776),

Two issues came up in my most recent game.

One, a player was wondering if (at least theoretically) he could attain a 7-order hand, and what would be the ramifications of that. Is a player allowed to draw on an ingredient-free hand, *only* from the order stack? If a player begins a turn with no ingredient cards but some order cards, can they play an order after playing 0 ingredients?

We played that you couldn't play an order if you played no ingredients (and if you were dumb enough to draw to a 7-order hand, you've crippled yourself for the remainder of the game).

Later that game (in a later round), the player began a round with only 2 order cards, so he could not play, only draw. He chose to draw only from the order deck (taking the 2 orders remaining), so the next round _again_ he could not play, and then he did a draw from the ingredient deck. The question of whether that was wise aside (he won, btw)... was that interpretation of the rules correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy (#59793),

You interpreted the rules correctly. They actually say that you must place at least one ingredient and that you cannot place an order if you have no ingredients to play. Of course, refilling your hand to 7 order cards would be extremely dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although my copy of the rules (from RGG) does not cover this situation, the current rules available from Abacusspiele (PDF) now include the following note:

Quote:
Note: it can occur that a player has no ingredient cards to play on his turn. When this occurs, he must pass, playing no cards (not even an order card).

He then draws cards as normal to fill his hand to seven cards.

So far so good.

However, a site called Game Central Station makes the following claim:

Quote:
Rules Clarification

Due to an unusual bit of wording in the Rio Grande rules, I was taught to play that you must play one or more ingredients per turn. According to Jay Tummelson and the 2nd edition rules from Abacusspiele, you may pass on playing ingredients if you are out of ingredients and simply play an order card.

The difference is that you are allowed to play an order card even if you pass on playing ingredient cards (because you don't have any). This protects you from being completely shut out of the rest of the game when you have a hand of seven order cards.

Does anyone have a copy of the Abacusspiele "2nd edition rules" that says this? Or does anyone know where Jay Tummelson said it?

(I know that this situation may not be very likely to occur, but it would be nice to know how to deal with it if it ever does.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:
[D]oes anyone know where Jay Tummelson said it?

Aha! Found it in an old rec.games.board thread:

CafeJay wrote:
This is correct - you may play an order card if you have one.

Amusingly enough, Jay's post was an indirect reply to a query from Mark Jackson -- the guy who runs the Game Central Station site that I quoted from earlier.

This ruling contradicts the newer Abacusspiele rules, but I think the game works better this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.