6 Posts

Battle Line» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beginner questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
1. Can you reclaim conquered flags; how?

2. Can you pass voluntarily?

3. Mud: do you need to play 4 cards of same value to form a wedge? Or just 3 identical values from a choice of 4 cards?

4. Scout: where does the 3rd card go, to the bottom of the deck? If I understand correctly, the two other cards must be played immediately?

5. When playing a wild card (leader, companion, shields), do you immediately have to define its colour and value and is it fixed or can the colour / value change afterwards? Or do you choose only when you're claiming a flag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
1. Can you reclaim conquered flags; how?

2. Can you pass voluntarily?

3. Mud: do you need to play 4 cards of same value to form a wedge? Or just 3 identical values from a choice of 4 cards?

4. Scout: where does the 3rd card go, to the bottom of the deck? If I understand correctly, the two other cards must be played immediately?

5. When playing a wild card (leader, companion, shields), do you immediately have to define its colour and value and is it fixed or can the colour / value change afterwards? Or do you choose only when you're claiming a flag?

1. No

2. No

3. With mud in play, you are now playing 4 card formations - 4,4,4,3 is a total of 15 (not a wedge)

4. Scout is "draw 3 cards, return any 2 to the top of the deck(s) you drew them from"

5. The cards state "at the time the flag is resolved"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles is right. In particular, #2 is very important as it would be a completely different game were you allowed to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Why aren't you allowed to reconquer flags? If your side of the flag has less than 3 cards, why can't you later reconquer the flag by playing a higher hand than the opponent?

This seems to me much more a strategic and tense game. As it stands, you could easily be blocked with no chance on a breakthrough (winning by 3 adjacent flags).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Why aren't you allowed to reconquer flags? If your side of the flag has less than 3 cards, why can't you later reconquer the flag by playing a higher hand than the opponent?

This seems to me much more a strategic and tense game. As it stands, you could easily be blocked with no chance on a breakthrough (winning by 3 adjacent flags).

Please define what you mean by "reconquer"?

If we were to picture a battle like this

-

Just because I have 3 cards out does not mean I can claim the flag. I have to be able to prove that you cannot play a better hand. In order to prove it I have to use cards that have already been played (if I have the final cards you need in my hand I cannot prove it). If you later play 5-4-3 then you can possible claim this flag.

By definition, when I claim a flag you cannot play a better hand. The only time this is not the case is if you are playing with the tactics cards - you cannot say that a "wildcard" is available to prevent me from claiming.

Does this make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
It makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.