Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: The #1 Settlers of Catan Player on XBOX Live rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends father (he's 57) is now ranked #1 on XBOX live. His blog post about it is is linked in the quote:

Quote:
So, Catan on Xbox Live Arcade is a fun time, but my dad's a guy who
took it to a whole new level.

my dad's gamercard: http://profile.mygamercard.net/djcsb
my ramblings about it: http://bob.newgrounds.com/news/post/52689

He's definitely letting it get to his head, but he's earned it.

Parents, right?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has he played the board game?

Is he any good at it?

-DK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Has he played the board game?

Is he any good at it?

-DK


Yup. Checkout the blog post:

http://bob.newgrounds.com/news/post/52689

Quote:
When I first introduced my dad to the original Settlers of Catan board game a few years ago (having been introduced to the game myself by Ross, incidentally), he was immediately fascinated by it. He went out and bought all the expansion sets -- none of which he likes as much as the original version -- and demanded to play it every time we had a game night. Regardless of how many people we have to accommodate at a gaming get-together, be it two or 12, the first question out of his mouth was always the same: "Are we playing Settlers?"


Ross taught me how to play Settlers as well, many years ago.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which bothers me morre--that there is a Computer Based Board Gaming forum on BGG or that it's under the Gaming Related group.

Oh...and congrats to whomever about that arcade game stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Come together, together as one
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
Avatar
mbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Oh...and congrats to whomever about that arcade game stuff.

I don't really think of Catan as an "arcade game."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan is a game I'd never have normally bought, but we got the XBLA version. For about $10, we get the base game, really neat graphics, the ability to play real people any time, and can always have a game against a computer opponent that's not too bad.

I'm looking forward to Talisman coming out on XBLA. Carasonne is fun, but really sorta boring to me after a while.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
Oh...and congrats to whomever about that arcade game stuff.

I don't really think of Catan as an "arcade game."
I was poking fun at XBOX. That's a console system, right? Like the old home console games that played arcade games. Maybe that was before your time.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that most non-boardgame stuff, particularly video gaming devices, are usually posted in the Everything Else > Chit Chat group, to my knowledge.

Just having a little fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Quote:
I'm not sure which bothers me morre--that there is a Computer Based Board Gaming forum on BGG or that it's under the Gaming Related group.


Why in the world would that bother you? It's not a general video game forum. The description specifically states that it's for discussion on board games that can be played on a computer. Seems perfectly "gaming related" to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
You need to introduce them to a new gaming obssession
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barefoot Killer wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure which bothers me morre--that there is a Computer Based Board Gaming forum on BGG or that it's under the Gaming Related group.


Why in the world would that bother you? It's not a general video game forum. The description specifically states that it's for discussion on board games that can be played on a computer. Seems perfectly "gaming related" to me.
I guess I don't consider an XBOX or my old Atari 2600 to be "computers." Sure, there's chips and such, but it's a stretch to call it computer based boardgaming. Not that it matters. I was mostly just trying to make snide/silly humor and failed miserably.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Poor Randy, at least you'll always have your statistics, just don't try humor any more ok? laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Forrest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I guess I don't consider an XBOX or my old Atari 2600 to be "computers." Sure, there's chips and such, but it's a stretch to call it computer based boardgaming.

Does anybody else remeber when the orginal Macintosh, with its purty-graphics and pointy-clicky input thingy, opened up computers to the masses? I remember heated, and at the time quite serious, arguements that a real computer needed only a keyboard and text interface. Anything else meant you wasting extra money on a toy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
W4st wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
I guess I don't consider an XBOX or my old Atari 2600 to be "computers." Sure, there's chips and such, but it's a stretch to call it computer based boardgaming.

Does anybody else remeber when the orginal Macintosh, with its purty-graphics and pointy-clicky input thingy, opened up computers to the masses? I remember heated, and at the time quite serious, arguements that a real computer needed only a keyboard and text interface. Anything else meant you wasting extra money on a toy.

I still think all you need is a keyboard. I don't like those mousie/carpel-tunnel things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to your friend's dad!

Where does he go from here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like quite an accomplishment in our little world of board games. What's this man's name? Somebody get him on a podcast interview. I can think of a bunch of questions to ask him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
W4st wrote:
... Does anybody else remeber when the orginal Macintosh, with its purty-graphics and pointy-clicky input thingy, opened up computers to the masses? I remember heated, and at the time quite serious, arguements that a real computer needed only a keyboard and text interface. Anything else meant you wasting extra money on a toy.


It was the Apple IIs (non-graphical interface) that I first started seeing in non-techies homes.

When the Macintosh came out, it was an expensive machine that most of the "masses" couldn't afford (roughly $5000 in today's dollars).

It wasn't until Macs caught on in the desktop publishing world that there were able to sell enough to bring the price down. It was quite a few years after they came out before I started to see them cropping up in middle class homes.

Long before then I saw plenty of Apple IIs, Commodores, IBMs, etc in people's homes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
Catan is a game I'd never have normally bought, but we got the XBLA version. For about $10, we get the base game, really neat graphics, the ability to play real people any time, and can always have a game against a computer opponent that's not too bad.

I'm looking forward to Talisman coming out on XBLA. Carasonne is fun, but really sorta boring to me after a while.


Not to hijack the thread, or anything, but as a prospective XBox 360 owner (gotta love $$ for XMas), I was wondering if the XBLA versions of Settlers and Carc were playable solo, i.e., vs. the machine. I take it this is in fact the case?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, or anything, but as a prospective XBox 360 owner (gotta love $$ for XMas), I was wondering if the XBLA versions of Settlers and Carc were playable solo, i.e., vs. the machine. I take it this is in fact the case?


Yep, you can play both solo against computer opponents. The AI in Settlers is really quite good, especially if you pick up the AI expansion pack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, or anything, but as a prospective XBox 360 owner (gotta love $$ for XMas), I was wondering if the XBLA versions of Settlers and Carc were playable solo, i.e., vs. the machine. I take it this is in fact the case?


You are correct. You play against computer opponents you can set to easy (dumb as a rock), medium (decent), or hard (actually hard to win against). When I play solo I usually set 2 computers to medium and one to hard. Pretty fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I guess I don't consider an XBOX or my old Atari 2600 to be "computers." Sure, there's chips and such, but it's a stretch to call it computer based boardgaming. Not that it matters. I was mostly just trying to make snide/silly humor and failed miserably.


It's beyond "chips and such".
The XBOX is a fully qualified, pentium class processor (somewhere in the 700MHZ range) with a 233 MHz nVidia graphics card, 100 MBit ethernet port, 64 MB of DDR memory and an 8 gig hard drive (10 in some cases).

You *can* load linux on it if you wish. And I've seen hacked keyboards for it. Theoretically, the joystick ports are USB compatible, but I haven't seen anecdotal evidence to that point...yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nice! There's a Settlers Of Catan tournament held in German every year or so. He should compete for it and give the US' and Europe's best players a run for their money
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Huebner
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZMeston wrote:
beta.lyrae wrote:
My friends father (he's 57) is now ranked #1 on XBOX live. His blog post about it is is linked in the quote:

Quote:
So, Catan on Xbox Live Arcade is a fun time, but my dad's a guy who
took it to a whole new level.

my dad's gamercard: http://profile.mygamercard.net/djcsb
my ramblings about it: http://bob.newgrounds.com/news/post/52689

He's definitely letting it get to his head, but he's earned it.

Parents, right?



Not to pee on your friend's father's parade, but all that the MyGamerCard site takes into consideration is GamerScore and Achievements. Earn all the Achievements for a game, and you'll also max out your GamerScore for that game.

For example, MyGamerCard says I'm #1 at Carcassonne, #519 at Catan, and #1 at Worms. I'm absolutely not the best at any of those games; I just had the persistence to earn all of the Achievements for them (a glitch in Catan screwed me out of one of that game's 12).

What would be more interesting is your friend's father's ranking on Catan's Ranked Match leaderboard. That's hardly perfect, either, as it's possible to quit a game in progress without suffering a loss on your record. There are several players on XBLA Catan with obscene win-loss records that quit whenever they're in danger of losing. I've played a couple of 'em.


Link please and thanks in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UnHalak wrote:
ZMeston wrote:
beta.lyrae wrote:
My friends father (he's 57) is now ranked #1 on XBOX live. His blog post about it is is linked in the quote:

Quote:
So, Catan on Xbox Live Arcade is a fun time, but my dad's a guy who
took it to a whole new level.

my dad's gamercard: http://profile.mygamercard.net/djcsb
my ramblings about it: http://bob.newgrounds.com/news/post/52689

He's definitely letting it get to his head, but he's earned it.

Parents, right?



Not to pee on your friend's father's parade, but all that the MyGamerCard site takes into consideration is GamerScore and Achievements. Earn all the Achievements for a game, and you'll also max out your GamerScore for that game.

For example, MyGamerCard says I'm #1 at Carcassonne, #519 at Catan, and #1 at Worms. I'm absolutely not the best at any of those games; I just had the persistence to earn all of the Achievements for them (a glitch in Catan screwed me out of one of that game's 12).

What would be more interesting is your friend's father's ranking on Catan's Ranked Match leaderboard. That's hardly perfect, either, as it's possible to quit a game in progress without suffering a loss on your record. There are several players on XBLA Catan with obscene win-loss records that quit whenever they're in danger of losing. I've played a couple of 'em.


Link please and thanks in advance.


He explains in the blog that the image he chose doesn't show it, but he is #1 in the Ranked play leaderboard.

-MMM
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZMeston wrote:
beta.lyrae wrote:
My friends father (he's 57) is now ranked #1 on XBOX live. His blog post about it is is linked in the quote:

Quote:
So, Catan on Xbox Live Arcade is a fun time, but my dad's a guy who
took it to a whole new level.

my dad's gamercard: http://profile.mygamercard.net/djcsb
my ramblings about it: http://bob.newgrounds.com/news/post/52689

He's definitely letting it get to his head, but he's earned it.

Parents, right?



Not to pee on your friend's father's parade, but all that the MyGamerCard site takes into consideration is GamerScore and Achievements. Earn all the Achievements for a game, and you'll also max out your GamerScore for that game.

For example, MyGamerCard says I'm #1 at Carcassonne, #519 at Catan, and #1 at Worms. I'm absolutely not the best at any of those games; I just had the persistence to earn all of the Achievements for them (a glitch in Catan screwed me out of one of that game's 12).

What would be more interesting is your friend's father's ranking on Catan's Ranked Match leaderboard. That's hardly perfect, either, as it's possible to quit a game in progress without suffering a loss on your record. There are several players on XBLA Catan with obscene win-loss records that quit whenever they're in danger of losing. I've played a couple of 'em.


Well, in this thread, the OP is saying the guy is ranked #1 on XBLA. That's all in good.

in the blog the father's son says he's the best Settlers player. I don't know about that. If it's based on XBLA achievements, then yeah, that's not necessarily saying much.

The online version of Settlers/Seafarers Of Catan I use isn't perfect. One high rated player at 1800 only got there because he plays 1400 to 1500 rated players all the time. He also had the nerve to say Settlers is all about skill b/c he won the past 18 games in a row. Point is, it's not always just about the numbers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.