Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heder
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night was my second time playing. It was either the first second or third time playing for 4 out of the 5 players in the game, and the fifth picked the game up at BGGcon (I believe) so he's played it there and maybe three or four times after the con.

My first game, I saw someone win by shipping a lot - he had built the building that when activated let him put two of a particular good or product on one ship, and he used it very well. My plan at the start of the game was to build that building and use it myself. Unfortunately, I was the fifth player and that same player, Seth, went second and he built it.

Jeremy went first, then Seth, Ben, NewGuy, then me.

The first round went with Jeremy mayor-ing right off for 6 points, then everyone else worker-ing. The rest of the round saw a mixture of everything else other than mayoring. I ended up building the sugar to rum building and activating it to produce several bottles of rum. I won the election with my mayor card and a bribe of 1 peso - I won it after an original tie - we tied a second time but as I was last I got the tie-breaker.

I chose to activate the no bribe policy. I felt that I was safe doing so as the player that had used the two extra votes building the previous game I played - Jeremy - had done horribly using it. My goal was to ship a lot. I spent some money in the market to buy some cigars (I ended up buying both cigars in the first two rounds) but this left me being money poor for the majority of the game.

My goal was to ship a lot - which I did. I shipped three or four times for 6 to 9 points each time. I also utilised the rum to points building a couple of times for 6 points each time. My downfall came from the duties - that is not paying them.

For the first round I was able to get the five points as I chose what was activated. But after that I was cash poor and often resource or goods poor so I was unable to get more than 2 points on one occasion and a few times I received points for my votes, but Jeremy had built the two extra vote building in the second round and kept the no bribe poicy to insure that he would win every election. Then when paying duties and getting points, he would receive 10 or 11 points to my 2 to 5. Even with shipping a lot I ended with about 7 or 8 points fewer than he. Jeremy ended at exactly 80 points. I did well shipping so much, but just couldn't pay the duties as much as I needed to.

Still it was a good and enjoyable game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Jeremy really dominated that game with the Corruption Act in play and the 2-votes building. Seems like that could come up pretty easily... but then if it doesn't happen at the start it hardly matters. Jeremy also collected a bunch of Water which helped a lot when it came to the Water subsidy.

Outside of his turn 1 Mayor, I think Jeremy played a very good game with all kinds of synergistic stuff going on. Even that first turn, which seemed so strange, might have actually been really good, as it clogged up the boat I had planned on shipping on, which might have contributed to my abysmal performance.

My plan that game was to get one (or both - which I did do) of the buildings that let you Ship during Foreman. I wanted to get lots of goods via market, then use Mayor and Foreman to get them on high VP boats. This strategy would be good if the Harbor act were in play, as then I could fill a boat then fill another. Of course, under Jeremy's corrupt rule, there would be no Harbor act.

For starting out trying a heavy shipping strategy, I shipped surprisingly little. Maybe that's why I got 3rd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.