Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy?? Is there any strategy to this game? I guess your best chance is to pay attention to peoples expressions and learn their tells. And watch as to not give yourself away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Write legibly.

Pay attention to the phrasing on the real answers and try to mimic the style.

Pay attention to the phrasing and use that information to eliminate fake definitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely write legibly.

The one biggest give-away is when someone can't read what someone else has written
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Phytoman"]Definitely write legibly.[q]

This is why you should always have the player go through each one silently before reading them aloud. If there's something they can't decipher, they can ask the author. But it's better still if they can read it correctly right away.

As mentioned, learning the syntax of the real definitions is a big help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I think it's best to keep your definitions short. The long ones are usually dead give aways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest challenge in Balderdash is that the answers are written with a variety of styles and phrasing. Reading 20 answers won't give you that better an understanding of what the real answers sound like. Some of them are very formal and normal, and some are weird and crazy.

I think it's very hard to determine the "game's" phrasing. What I do think you can do is observe the style and phrasing of your opponents as that does not usually change from round to round, and often you can think to yourself "there's another crazy definition from Charles", or "another really dull definition from Julie". That being said, I think the key to having your answer picked out, is to change up how you write it. One round do something bizzarre and the next do something really normal sounding. This way no one can pick up on your individual style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are different styles that run throughout the actual definitions and such, but if you see certain things that come up and how they are expressed there is somewhat of a pattern. In Beyond Balderdash I once had to do the plotline for a movie. in my plotline I decided to throw in the phrase "hilarity ensued" (something I had seen on some actual movie review). Everyone voted for mine, and I picked out the actual movie. It's just throwing things like that in, which is something you have heard before.

A good strategy is to keep it somewhat real. People will pick yours over the completely off the wall actual answer many times if you can make it sound plausible. My wife is the best at doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this an after dinner game for the very pissed (drunk)? IMHO this game isn't about winning, its the journey, people struggling to read illegible hand writing, people writing insane definitions with no thought to them being believed, just to raise a laugh and be light hearted.

Please don't take this game so seriously that you need strategy advice from this site. Aim to remember the incidents not the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Penna
msg tools
Nah, Nick, it CAN be taken seriously as well.

When it comes to stumbling on the words, the one who reads SHOULD read throught them silently first, making sure that they can read them aloud without problems.

But in a game, if peope don't care about this, one strategy - when it's your turn to read - is to stumble on the words when you read the correct definition..

Another strategy can sometimes be to bet on your own definition, tryibg to trick others to do the same..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.