♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, last night, I went by one of my FLGSs to see what they had in stock for the Christmas season, and they were packed to the ceiling with new stuff. Among that new stuff were many, many copies of Ticket to Ride. But as I looked at the boxes, I realized that something didn't appear right. I pulled it off the shelf, and judged the weight. It didn't feel right. And then I realized that the texture of the box felt very similar to the texture of the box and components of the Switzerland expansion. I could even tell through the shrinkwrap.

I checked the back of the box, and there it was: "Made in China." So, it's not just that the company went the China route to publish one expansion; they even went the China route to reprint all of their classic games! And the quality ... well, I've covered that in a different post.

So, DoW fans beware: The quality of the game components is on the decline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know if they revert printing to Germany again. snore

Memoire Air Pack is the only one of their games/expansions that interests me and i hope that they didn't make a mess of it as they did with TtR: Switzerland...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the components are lacking in the Memoir '44 Air Pack. The card color is slightly off because you'll have that any time you go to a different printer. But the quality seems on par with all the original M44 stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Ah, well, hopefully they'll learn the same lesson Jay at Rio Grande did with Carcassonne; shifting the production of your bread and butter games to China is a very risky proposition.

Too bad they seem bent on damaging their hard-earned reputation for quality games. It can only hurt them in the marketplace.

This sort of thing has turned DoW from a buy sight-unseen to a try-before-you-buy company, and even then, if it's made in China, it's gonna be a hard sell.

The difference between Switzerland and Nordic Countries is night and day; you think they'd learn something from that. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got a chance to see the TTR:Switzerland cards. They suck. My toilet paper is thicker than these cards! Let me assure you that the quality of the M44 Air Pack is 20 times better than TTR:S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.