John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first-ever custom scenario. Please be gentle! laugh

Scenario: ‘Tis the Season to Beat Zombies
Created: Nov. 30, 2007

It’s the most wonderful time of the year -- and the people of Woodinvale aren’t going to let a bunch of zombies play Grinch and ruin it! Farmer Sty will still host his annual holiday party in the family barn, and everyone is invited. In a town overrun by the living dead, cash doesn’t have much meaning, so townsfolk are bartering for gifts for their friends and families with more precious materials like guns, pitchforks and dynamite. Now, they just need to purchase their gifts and make it to the party -- and show those zombies just who’s been naughty and who’s been nice!

Setup:
This scenario always uses the L-shaped outer-board pieces with the General Store and the Barn. The General Store piece goes in the #2 (bottom left) position, and the Barn piece goes in the #4 (top right) position. The other two outer pieces are selected randomly.

Put four markers on the side of the board to represent Presents. These markers can be anything that is not already being used in the game. A suggestion is the 1 - 4 numbered counters (though the numbers are irrelevant in this scenario). More information on Presents can be found below.

Set the Sun Track at 15 to start.

Special rules:
Game play for this scenario follows normal rules with the following exceptions/additions.

Neither the General Store nor the Barn can be “Taken Over.”

Heroes may not Search in the General Store. During the Movement step, instead of Searching, Heroes may forfeit two Items (whether Weapon or non-Weapon) to take a Present marker. The two forfeited Item cards are not put into the discard pile; rather, they are completely removed from the game, meaning they cannot be later drawn through cards like “Just What I Needed.”

Heroes may only carry one Present at a time, even if they have enough Items to purchase more than one. A Heroes' one Present does not count against his or her Item limit.

Once a Hero has a Present, he or she may put it back in the Present pile to avoid taking a Wound marker (thematically, the Hero has dropped what he or she is carrying to get away from the Zombie). The Hero must now go back to the General Store with two new Items to purchase a new Present.

If a Hero carrying a Present is killed, the Present is returned to the Present pile.

Victory Conditions:
To win, two or more Present-carrying Heroes must be on the same space within the Barn. These Heroes may then exchange their Presents during the Exchange Items step just like they would Item cards. If the Heroes survive for the rest of the Hero turn, the Heroes have won and will have a very Merry Christmas indeed!

If the Zombies kill three Heroes, they deliver the ultimate lump of coal and win the game. Additionally, if the Heroes do not win by the time the Sun Track reaches the end, the Zombies win -- Bah humbug!

Optional Rules (Party Guests):
For added holiday flavor, remove all of the Townsfolk cards from the Hero deck and form a separate, smaller Townsfolk deck with just these cards. This represents guests already at the party.

No Hero may enter the Barn until he or she has a Present. If a Hero is in the Barn and loses his or her Present (discarding it to avoid a Wound), he or she may stay in the Barn but cannot re-enter without first purchasing a new Present. (Since the Heroes Victory Condition requires the Hero to have a Present, he or she will eventually need to leave the Barn to purchase a new Present anyway.)

While in the Barn, instead of Searching, Heroes may draw from the Townsfolk deck. These cards go to the Heroes’ hand and are played just like in the normal game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great! I'll have to try it out as soon as I get Last Night on Earth (pre-ordered and waiting!) I like the holiday theme mixed with the horror of Zombies. Reminds me of that old movie "Silent Night, Deadly Night" cool

Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I haven't play-tested it yet, so it may need some tweaks. Mostly, I'm thinking that it seems a bit easy for the Heroes (relative to the other scenarios), so perhaps to succeed, the Heroes need THREE Heroes to survivie and exchange presents at the end (and the Zombies only need to kill two Heroes to win).

Anyway, I think you will LOVE the main game once you get it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harshman
United States
North Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
gooTimely scenario! I have played it and the Heroes won on their last turn. We had a great time. Thanks! Check out the Scenario card I designed for (Tis The Season) in the Image section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobharshman wrote:
gooTimely scenario! I have played it and the Heroes won on their last turn. We had a great time. Thanks! Check out the Scenario card I designed for (Tis The Season) in the Image section.

Very cool! Love the card, and glad you enjoyed the scenario.

I have another one which I hope to get posted within the next week or two, though it may not be "timely" for another 11 months (at least for those of us here in the U.S.). A hint: It's called "Vote, Zombie, Vote."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate McKie
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I know this is six years later, but I thought this was worth posting.

Since it's Christmas Eve, and we love this game, we decided to give this scenario a try. It was going really well; seemed like it was really even between the heroes and zombies, until we got to about five turns remaining. At that point, there were two heroes with gifts headed to the barn, and the other two heroes were fighting off the zombie hordes that had congregated there. Just as we cleared the way, the zombies played two cards in succession that they had been holding on to -- one that made one of the heroes carrying a present Strange, and the other that made it impossible for a Strange hero to exchange with any others. Since we didn't have Father Joseph, at that point the game was just over. There was no way for any other hero to get enough items to go back to the store, get a present, and head back to the barn with only four turns remaining. We just had to end the game and declare the Zombies the winners, which was a sad way to finish.

I would suggest that the card that disallows Strange characters from exchanging be removed from the Zombie deck before this scenario is played.

Otherwise, nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

That's probably the best 1st post by a new user I've ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.