Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
That's two votes for Emperor
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game functional with two? It seems that the play in the temples would suffer with only 2 players. Should I bother to teach the wife or will she be bored?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
The 2-player is not there just for adding a figure on the box

We believe that the 2-player game is good and well balanced, but on the other hand it's the most demanding and if both player don't have the same strenght, the weakest will suffer !

Regards,
Cyril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it two players and liked it, but it's very unforgiving if you fall behind early in the game. I was able to get the Top Banker card and the Top Caravan card fairly early which made it near impossible for my opponent to catch up. However after our first play I doubt he would let that happen again.

I look forward to playing another two player game, as well as 3 and 4 player games. I really like this one, another great addition the Ystari line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hudson
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t think it’s unforgiving. In our 2-player game, one player had the garden bonus while the other had the most palaces and it was very close. In our 4-player game, the eventual winner had the most garden tiles but lost out on all the palace bonuses.

It seems that you can go for the garden or go for the palace but not both. If you get shut out of one or the other, you can still win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tejas Mistry
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
quartersmostly wrote:
I played it two players and liked it, but it's very unforgiving if you fall behind early in the game. I was able to get the Top Banker card and the Top Caravan card fairly early which made it near impossible for my opponent to catch up. However after our first play I doubt he would let that happen again.

We played our first 2 player game yesterday and I was in a similar situation with the Top Banker and Top Caravan card and my opponent spent most of the game trying to make up for that, and lost.

While he won't let that happen again, we felt those two cards seemed a little TOO powerful in a 2 player game. We were considering reducing the card powers as:
Top Banker: 2 talents + 1 VP
Top Caravan: +2 movement but storage of 4 resources
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Cruz
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first (and so far ONLY) two plays of this game were 2-player games and my opponent and I both thought the game worked well. Having had no experience with 3 or 4 players, we arrived at the conclusion that the 2-player game was maybe just a little too predictable (but, then again, we have known each other for over a decade and know one another's gaming styles well).

From my perspective, I did think that getting the Top Caravaneer card was an advantage, but not a debilitating one. My best friend acquired this card in both games; she won the first game by 3 points but I won the second game by 5. I think it will take a few more plays to see if there's a pattern for us!

This was a good thread to read, though. We'll be on the look-out for losing out on BOTH cards, I'm sure!!!

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Baumann
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players, how does the Peasant track work? It seems that no one can play enough cubes to get all the way to the end of a track, thus gaining a majority and earning a Gardner card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I can't see why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.