Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
As the gift-giving season approaches, I'd like to take this opportunity for a gentle reminder regarding your non-gaming friends and family.

You are the one who's into boardgames, not them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shouldn't the gift remind them of the giver?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
Shouldn't the gift remind them of the giver?

Gifts are to show your appreciation for others, not to remind them how much they appreciate you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this up a couple of years ago:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/719611#719611

It got a pretty mixed response but some interesting discussion. I'm with you though, I only give a board game to someone that I know is into games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
We got a friend who only gives things as gifts that he likes. This way if someone does not like one of his presents, then he more than willingly takes it off their hands. A weasel in more than just gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the give what you like camp.

My sister likes to do crafts, like cross-stitch and crochet. My Mother-in-law likes to collect stamps. That's what they give every year. I love it.

I would much rather receive a gift that means something to them, than have them go through the hassle of searching for the perfect gift for me. Their gifts are much more meaningful to me that way.

I don't really feel that I am forcing my hobby on anybody. I am just giving a gift that I enjoy and I hope they like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I woudn't give adults boardgames, but giving it to nices as I did last year is another thing (espacally as one of them said "I love boardgames" when she got Ticket to Ride)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Well, at least it's not raining.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bring games with me to play with my brothers and nephew. See whether I can subvert them.

This year, I'll pack in Through the Desert and Carc, I think. They're outdoors people, but maybe I can keep their brains focussed on a simple game for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a pet, I think you owe them a boardgame. That way you can pool your collection together... Yeah....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thought. Why not let the thrifters in your area send you wish lists, since they'll be benefitting from your work anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes! I must say I had a pang of guilt when I saw what this thread was about, because I bought games for EVERYONE (except the cat, who prefers sardines in tomato sauce) for Xmas this year. But in my own defense, I only give to my immediate family and they're all gamers but one.

The one nongamer in our family is also notoriously difficult to buy for, and I've spent plenty of time over the years racking my brain about what he would like, and given him plenty of gifts that never got used. Being the lone muggle in a tribe of gamers, he gets dragged into playing light games a lot, especially around the holidays. The game I got him this year is a party game and one of the very few games that I'd say he actually enjoys and doesn't play just to humor the rest of the family.

So my conscience is clear, or clear enough, and I'm looking forward to a gaming holiday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.