Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8-year-old daughter, Abby, has been hankering for Kingdom Hearts ever since I showed her the cards and the instructional video on FFG's site earlier this year. She didn't know about KH before, but she's a Disney fan. When FFG announced a preorder set of promo cards as a bonus, I jumped in and got Abby and me a couple of starter sets. Each starter comes with one of three super-rare foil cards (pictured in a cutout window on the front of the box, so no surprises) and 40 fixed cards. Her Ariel set ended up taking quite a bit of extra time to get--the nonfoil version of Ariel is a rare, while the nonfoil versions of Goofy and Donald Duck (the other two foil options) aren't, so I'm guessing that's why the Ariel sets early on have been a bit harder to come by. (In general, the game seems to be selling well, as sites like ThoughtHammer are backordered on some sets.)

We had to wait a day or so to actually open the packs, but we were both pleased when we did. The cards are thick enough, but being black edged and "collectible," I'll probably look into some sleeves. The art is crisply drawn and vibrantly colored; the poses are pretty amusing as well.

Two surprises: the first was looking at the promo Sora card, which depicts her* as a mermaid. Unlike the, shall we say, demure Ariel, Sora's a bit ... exposed.

Nothing terrible--she's* a mermaid, and I'm no prude--but I was a little surprised to see that in a game marked for 8+. I can just imagine the folks who used Sharpies on the Mimix cards in Blue Moon popping their caps here.

[*Edit: I'm told Sora is not really a she. Sorry for any pain and suffering this has caused.]

The second surprise was that we each had different-level Soras as player cards. Abby's had 8 Heart Points but an Attack Value of only 4, whereas mine had 4 HP but a 6 attack value. Because the sets were advertised as "fixed," I'd assumed that the Soras would be identical. Again, no major problem; just a surprise, although it did affect this one practice game.

Abby and I played while her younger sister, Cora, looked on interestedly. We played open handed (i.e., cards faceup), as neither of us really knew how to play (this would be the first TCG for both of us) and as I knew she'd need quite a bit of guidance. Kingdom Hearts isn't terribly complicated by card-game standards, but there are seven different card types and, of course, lots of combinations to consider. Perhaps most importantly, we talked again about this being a practice game, just to make sure no one's feelings would get hurt(especially mine if I lost).

In this practice game, bad card draws kept Abby from doing as much as either of us would have liked. Her lower-Attack-Value Sora meant that she'd really need some good Friend, Magic/Friend, Attack, and Magic cards to compliment her Player card. Instead, partly I think because we didn't shuffle well enough, she ended up with too many of the "wrong" cards, like Level 2 Friend cards (which can't be played without a Level 1 [or higher] Friend or Magic/Friend card in play), Magic/Friend cards that couldn't be played (because of her not having a high enough Magic value out on the table), and a lot of World cards (which were fairly useless at many points because she couldn't eliminate the Dark cards from her own World cards). She wasn't too bothered by any of this. I think she just liked looking at the cards; plus, she's a pretty mature kid. In retrospect, given her high HP, I probably should have had her escape early to clear off the Dark cards (which would have cost her an HP, but she could probably have afforded to lose some early). Ultimately, I was able to build up both my World card levels (to 11, close to the needed 13) and wear her HP down to zero (and thereby win the game) because she couldn't combo enough cards to stave off my HP-draining Challenges.

We took about an hour, hour twenty for that game, including rules explanation. I had to look up rules a few times--the rules on how many and how powerful of Dark cards can be played on an opponent's World card kept throwing me--but for the most part the game flowed smoothly and kept her interest. Both girls want to play again, the best sign of all.

After it was all over, I asked the girls for their impressions:

Abby: "It was kind of tricky the first time, but it was fun." It was tricky that "people pushed down your hearts. I like how they made the game. I liked the cards. They are very neat."
Cora: "I helped Abby, and that was fun. And I helped her understand."
Abby: "You didn't help me! The rules helped me!"
Cora: "I just told her advice."
Abby: "Would you like to play that game?"
Cora: "Yes."
Abby: "Don't be let down when Dad has to beat you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schomburg
United States
Maplewood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:

Two surprises: the first was looking at the promo Sora card, which depicts her as a mermaid. Unlike the, shall we say, demure Ariel, Sora's a bit ... exposed.

You thought Sora was FEMALE? blush That is wrong dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brianschomburg wrote:
jpat wrote:

Two surprises: the first was looking at the promo Sora card, which depicts her as a mermaid. Unlike the, shall we say, demure Ariel, Sora's a bit ... exposed.

You thought Sora was FEMALE? blush That is wrong dude.

An easy mistake - all those Final Fantasy-type characters are pretty androgynous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, um... well ... I claim worse than 20/200 vision and an utter ignorance of FF/KH. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sora is a dude. Exposure to male nipples won't do any more damage to young eyes than watching pro-wrestling will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:

Sora is a dude.

OK. Um, can we change the subject now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Vafai
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, it's alright- we've all thought of Sora as a girl at some point or another: Either by way of his character or his strange obsession with Riku (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=209 NSFW).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weismann
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Zaleus wrote:
No, it's alright- we've all thought of Sora as a girl at some point or another: Either by way of his character or his strange obsession with Riku (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=209 NSFW).

So true...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So excited to see my gender misidentification thread resurrected over six years later. I guess everything does live forever on the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.