Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Zogat
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys I need your ideas and help.

I am willing to design a 3D Nexus Ops Monolith that can be mass produced from molds. But it takes quite a bit of time to develope a 3D master in order to make the molds from. Never mind that the model needs to be feasible and interesting to the public.

Here is my proposal.

Using the dimensions of the base of the games monolith, design for me the Framework Structure of a 3D monolith, out of card board or in a 3D rendering program. then take a picture of it and submit images of necessary angles. I can always ask for finer details and ideas, if your model is in the running for top choice. We can then have a forum vote and I can try as best I can to flesh out the structure and make it into a practical mold-able piece. Using some artistic licence on changing the design, look and making it logistically feasible to mold and ship. (this means shipping in sections that won't easily break, yet be assembled easily and sturdy). The medium it will be made out of is plaster of pairs, so keep this in mind.

Keep the following criteria suggestions in mind when designing it.

1) I need only the Frame work structure and outline of the monolith - other details and ideas can be submitted in a write with the picture as a suggested guideline.

2) Its should be structurably feasible in design for support, weight and height and for being made out of plaster of pairis.

3) Keep it under 5 inches tall

4) It should be hollow in the center or allow you to see through it.

6) Have ready some idea of a finished surface look or texture incase yours is a choosen favorite and I can use this to help determine the final model.

There is no guarante this project will complete in a short period of time. It depends on how many suggestions I get and the help I get in getting ideas. Then I have to work it into my work schedual and so on. The more ideas I get, the faster we can get started on something everyone will enjoy.

Here are a few ideas I had in mind for a final overall look or theme.
1) Lord of the rings towers
2) Alien like sharp flat crystal like polygons
3) Castle Turrets or similar architecture molds for corners and edges.
4) Some form of arching and pillers combination to create hollow see through structure.

So lets get thinking and submitting pictures.

Here is a very rough first structure I was starting to work with! The cardboard top is just a place holder at this time. But it gives you an idea where to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Zogat
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave this a thumbs up to help get it started so some may see it in hot items, not just recent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only idea I have, is to have some kind of crystalline object/structure underneath the monolith.
This would be the source of power, which gives the units that are in control of it the extra cards.

My son has a large neon-green crystalline blob that I put under our monolith - it can't be seen, but it is a thematic justification for the in-game benefit the player gets from controlling it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
I made one out of plaster of paris and it is a simple black hex, about an inch thick. It's not too tall, allowing you to see over it easily. I also made it have some "alien runes" protrusions from the sides and on the edges and painted those neon purple, for the same reason reaper said

Edit: also drybrushed the same purple on the top, so if you look closely, its like whatever is inside is growing and breaking out the onyx (or whatever your black stone preference is) monolyth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Zogat
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Show us a picture if you can, as it may help get people thinking, especially your runes and paint job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Nexus Ops 3D Monolith Design Competition. Help me Desig
Your rough structure is kinda neat - I'd want some rough terrain underneath it to show that only the upper level is passable.

My thought is for the Monolith not to be particularly raised, but for the edges to be just wild growths of crystal, culminating in a flat plateau of crystal for a few units to stand on. I suppose an important question is, can you do transparency?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Zogat
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Transparency is only possible in one of two ways.

1) The structure is a hollow frame, and plexi glass is used to cover the structure in desired areas to make it see through yet solid. Think of a greenhouse but not completely surrounding the monolith.

2) The second option is to mold the entire structure from a clear resin. Down sides is it will be transparent to the point that it would be like looking through an ice cube, unless your surfaces are perfectly flat. Also the cost for a monolith jumps immensely with this option.

Here is what I am refering to in the form of Hirst Blocks building system where you form your own bricks from purchased molds. Abaroth has used a clear resin in molding bricks. Look at the D'ice Tower.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/abarothsworld/buildings.htm

Remember we could also go with a structure and include rubble or extra bricks that you then use to customize yourself to the look you want. Remember you can always add to the main monolith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've got an idea, maybe I can sketch it up later.

The edge is rimmed with irregular crystals, with the ring seemingly divided into four sections of color, as if each of the home bases (in a 4-player game) were giving off a glow of its own color. From the center, erupting out of the crystal, is a solid black hexagonial platform, wide enough for pieces to stand on. The solid black, as opposed to the soft colors of the crystal, make it seem to suck in the color around it, and the geometric hexagon seems strange compared to the random bursts of crystal surrounding it. It's obvious that this is something more powerful than mere crystals, something worth controlling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordzogat wrote:
Ok guys I need your ideas and help.
I am willing to design a 3D Nexus Ops Monolith that can be mass produced from molds. But it takes quite a bit of time to develope a 3D master in order to make the molds from. Never mind that the model needs to be feasible and interesting to the public.

As a big fan of this game, I have always been singularly disappointed with the quality (or more accurately, the lack) of the monolith. Whereas, I think the whole 'see-through' idea, be it an open design or just clear, is certainly convenient from a game perspective, I've always thought of it as something geologically substantial. Something like a cross between the Close Encounters mountain and the basalt columns in the Giant's Causeway, in Northern Ireland.
[IMG]www.nielsa.dk/old_site/images/usa00/us00_07.jpg[/IMG][IMG]www.ee.qub.ac.uk/.../picture/giants_causeway.jpg[/IMG]

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make it translucent then perhaps adding some sort of light inside to make it all glowing and looking like it is a source of power would be cool.

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Howard
United States
Lutherville-Timonium
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be willing to whip up a digital model, but I have yet to play Nexus Ops and don't fully understand the function of the Monolith. My copy is in the mail though, and I will keep an eye on this thread !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Zogat
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, this was kind of sidelined with other hobbies and Catan tile orders arriving at christmas and afterwords.

I will update you if I get back to it. Sorry for the delays, but it may be a bit now. Too many hobbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Zogat
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to continue on this project. I will try to dig it out. (I moved a year ago )

What were peoples thoughts on the current monolith I had going at the top of this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Zogat
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With LED technology what it is today, it would be very easy to light up the structure. The issue is getting clear resin and the correct molds to cast the resin pieces. This material would drive the unit cost up drastically.

I will keep it in mind as i like the idea as well!!

crazyyog wrote:
If you make it translucent then perhaps adding some sort of light inside to make it all glowing and looking like it is a source of power would be cool.

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordzogat wrote:
I would really like to continue on this project. I will try to dig it out. (I moved a year ago )

What were peoples thoughts on the current monolith I had going at the top of this thread?

It looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you still interested in doing this? I will come up with a design and pay you to make one for me if you are willing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Does anyone know the measurement of the hex (base of the monolith)?

I'm trying to make a custom monolith for my friend. I don't have the game to measure myself.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.