Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Mergaerts
Belgium
Werchter
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My wife and I've been playing a lot of BattleLore Adventures last few weeks, and one constant that has come up after 6 adventures which includes the dreadful, venom spitting spider, if we could choose, we 'd prefer to give that point to another council member. But' Im pretty sure we just both had bad luck with it. Neither of us rushed it forward let it draw dozens of dice attacks etc.

When deployed it was not send out to the most dangerous sections of the battlefield, but nevertheless, it got killed by a critical hit almost immediately (5x). Often (3x) from the front green units. In one adventure it kept out for more then 4 rounds, but there it just didn't get attacked because no orders in that section.

So, in all those adventure not a single Web, Venom attack, not a single trample, although I'd read the FAQ and chart carefully.

Now in all, loosing the spider is not that bad, save that it costed a Council point and it's a Victory Point for the other player.

Anyway, I'm sure there are other stories which balance these off, so please share them, so we give that huge create the respect it earns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Of the three large creatures I prefer the spider. The web attack makes it wonderful in support of another unit, as flags are now wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like how balanced the three creatures are in respect to each other. The Spider does the least amount of damage consistently, but is the easiest to involve in battles. The Earth Elemental can cause much mayhem by rolling a few lore, but the need for lore to move about mitigates what it can do. The Hill Giant has the most concentratedly (is that a word?) vicious attack, but is the least mobile, and against a non-masochistic opponent, can be avoided while some plan to take it down is divised (Fireball, Magic Missiles w/Darken the Skies, Enchanted Mass Might w/Mounted Charge...)

For the Spider specifically though, I've had plenty of games where it was the MVPiece. In general, the best practices are to perch it upon a lone rock, or in a Forest hex and then make an attack, especially if opponent is able to battle back. As you've well noted, limiting the number of dice rolled against it (well, holds true for any unit :lol: , but creatures especially) is the number one concern. For me, the poison effect of the Spider is not to be used. Maybe if I happened to be attacking a full strength King's Allies enhanced red banner unit of some sort, maybe. More likely however, a hit and a web while holding a lore back for the Spider would be the called action. Webbing on an initiated attack is nice, especially to convert a flag into a hit and avoid the dreaded battle back (even if it has been limited to 2d, again, as you've noted, creatures are vulnerable to any roll against it - my favorite act of desperation to take down a creature was a played-out-of-character River Rage that hit once, and then critical hit). Better though, is the web inflicted upon a battle back. That web not only renders the opponent helpless for your entire next turn, it often leaves other units that were counting upon its support, defenseless as well. Aside from hunting down stragglers, that is the real strength of the Spider, being able to web units while other units then prey on what the Spider has caught.

Of course, a common bow archer on the move with its 1/36 chance, can put an end it all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha!

The last game we played (2 days ago)involved the spider moving and attacking (the first attack of the game)against a bold archer, who promptly battled back rolling 2 dice, rerolling 1 hit with a critical green and killed the nasty thing.

My opponent was reckless with his spider, but still it was only a 1 in 6 chance to score a critical even after the initial hit.

But... like you say, it sure made the spider look wimpy for something with fangs, 8 hairy legs and a zillion eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Involved in three games with creatures yesterday - two were #9 with the Spider, the other was a call to arms game (don't recall the adventure number, but it was one with marshes and the condition that whichever player held the most bridges gained a vp).

In both the #9's the Spider performed well. In the first it was ventured out quickly to take the hill on the left. It survived the whole game, only incurring about 3 critical checks, webbed like mad as the first roll for an attack was a lore lore roll, which set the spider up for the rest of the game. In the second, the spider was held back a few turns until the opportunity struck and was used to gain the same hex, but this time with support around it to do lots of damage. The spider went down towards the end of the game, but only after winning the left side of the board for p2.

In the CtA game, it took a couple of turns to position the hill giant upon the pentacle and adjacent to its liar, behind a hill (shielded from enemy arrows). But once there, the Giant was stubbornly attacked by dice capped at 3d (one 4d blow with an mc was sustained), and while taking a total of 5 critical checks during the game (and much to the eminent frustration of p2, all ended up as lore rolls, very strange. Odds of surviving 5 critical checks: 2 in 5. Odds of all 5 being lore rolls: 1 in 10,000! [with some liberal rounding , actually a .01286% chance]), survived them all, and single handedly destroyed three units, while having a hand in the destruction of two more (6 vp game).

My favorite experience with creatures though, was when playing against someone fielding an Earth Elemental. Even though red banners were used to summon, it wasn't until the fourth attempt that the beast was successfully called forth (odds of going three attempts of 4d without summoning: 1 in 10, approximately). Then, the very next turn, mounted charge and enchanted mass might was played, and the EE felled the first attempt with 6d hitting 4 times and then scoring 2 critical hits, just in case the brute didn't fall from the first

I really enjoy the high risk/reward quotient that the creatures bring to the game. A very fun component, but if not one's favorite flavor, not an integral part of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another creature tale: Yesterday's game was CtA on #15, Brignais. P2 used a lore council level to deploy a Hill Giant, placing it behind the rockpile which was situated next to the hills barricading the rest of the middle sections forces. First turn the Hill Giant stepped up and tossed some boulders across the valley at the blue cavalry perched atop the other side. The 2d did nothing other than provoke the cavalry to charge over on the next turn. The Giant, though adjacent was not the target, rather some infantry behind the hills. The very next turn, however, the Giant struck the now 2 strength cavalry. Only one hit, the rolled bonus turned red on it's second iteration. The battle back was two flags. The first was ignored, the second however, led to a two hex retreat with nowhere to go. Both the critical checks came up blue.

(As an aside, I asked this on the DoW creature compendium, but does anyone else have official word as to whether the rock pile makes the Hill Giant Bold2, if you will, ie able to ignore two flags? It's clearly stated in the players guide that creatures do not benefit from the boldness emanating from a landmark tile, but I find it strange that other units would get such an effect, but not the Hill Giant.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another, creature tale: Spider v. Hill Giant. Hill Giant was Greater portaled into the fray. Initial attack was somewhat disappointing, but still took 2 figures and suffered no battle back. Next turn the Hill Giant was attacked by a Giant Spider and the aforementioned 2 strength blue banner, which took refuge in the adjacent forest. Spider struck first...two lore. Webbed. So, dear reader, you know what the next roll was...blue foots in the woods rolled flag, blue. 3d critical check came up sufficiently blue.

The spider went on to last the whole battle. 13 d in total rolled against it, 4 total critical checks (2d two times, out of the three separate attacks). Fun, fun game. I have it on good authority that the controller of the Hill Giant still had a good time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.